Need more Wire holes through wing spar

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
timotb
Class E

Need more Wire holes through wing spar

Post by timotb »

I am running out of access holes to send wires/cables through the wing spar on my RV7. There are two holes on the centerline and two outboard. 6 total. All filled. I still need to run comm and Nav antenna coax.

There is a triangular gusset on the wing spar top, both ends. I am considering holes through that gusset that will allow coax to travel over the spar. There may be structural concerns with holes in the gussets.

How are others solving this problem?

Pittsbuilder
Class G

Post by Pittsbuilder »

Why do you need to have the wires run through the spar? Can't you just run them all the way to the tip aft of the spar, and then wherever they need to go from there? I might be missing something, but if it were me, I wouldnt want to go drilling any holes through the spar :o

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Are you actually referring to the spar carry through box in the fuse?

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

timotb
Class E

Post by timotb »

Pittsbuilder wrote:Why do you need to have the wires run through the spar? Can't you just run them all the way to the tip aft of the spar,:o
This is a possibility. Wires will be exposed this way. I dont like the wing spar gusset idea either.

Pittsbuilder
Class G

Post by Pittsbuilder »

I'm afraid I'm still not quite understanding... Wouldnt the wires be enclosed in the wingtip? Where would they be exposed? And if you are putting nav & com antennas in the tip, couldn't the wires just run to the tip and then directly to the antenna? I Don't see why they have to go through the spar... There may be something I'm missing here, if so... Please bring me up to speed. Also, something to consider... VHF Com signal is vertically polarized, whereas nav is horizontally polarized. Your com antenna will perform better if mounted close to vertical. for the -4, I am planning on glassing a com antenna into the leading edge of one gear leg fairing. It's not perfect, but I'm thinking it will perform better than horizontal in the wingtip.

Dan

Pittsbuilder
Class G

Post by Pittsbuilder »

Ok, after re-reading your original post, I am now assuming what Spike did... That you are trying to run wires aft through the spar carry through from the panel to the tail... If this is the case, surely you can find some nice hidden area along the side of the fuselage to route the wires where they will be out of sight, and out of the way. I think I am confused :? Nobody ever accused me of being really bright anyway.

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

You can hide some stuff behind the canopy decks.

Van's will also tell you where when and how you can drill additional holes in the carrythrough box webbing.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD