Counterbalance...why so difficult??

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
s10sakota
Class E

Counterbalance...why so difficult??

Post by s10sakota »

I'm so mad right now. I drilled the lead weight in the right elevator while being careful to drill straight. But, I still drilled one hole so close to the rib that there is no way a nut will go on the bolt. So that rib (E-703) is ruined.

Unless I just open the hole up in the lead weight, that is ruined too because the hole is at a slight angle.

So, I figured I would redo the whole assembly using the left elevator parts while I order new parts for the right side.

I had a great idea to drill a pilot hole first to be sure I get the correct angle. I used a 1/16" drill bit that quickly broke off in the lead. After digging that out, I drilled a perfect hole right where I wanted it. Then, I drilled the other hole and broke off the #12 drill bit deep in that hole. There's no fishing that one out!

I wasn't too happy to just order two new counterweights at $20 each, a new E-703 rib for $10, and a new E-713 skin for $10 (plus shipping)!

What the heck am I doing wrong?? Yes I used oil in the hole as to not heat up the lead. Is there a trick to getting the hole the correct distance from the rib with out just guessing? Why am I breaking drill bits in the lead? Why do I want to take a sledgehammer to the whole thing right now??

Any tips? I'd sure hate to screw up my NEW parts!!

Thanks
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

only mark the lead, then drill it a drill press. never hand drill. use wd40 and clear the bit often...patience. I never had much luck with a small pilot hole in lead, they're too weak. I've heard freezing the lead can help, but never tried it.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

What type of drill speed/rpm are you drilling at?
Slow the rpm way down and cleaning the bit if it clogs is key.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

You can always melt the lead down and repour these weights.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Dave, I used an electric drill on the 'slow' setting.

I was just reading about someone else's lead screw up and I saw the replies about melting the lead down to ill the holes. Maybe I'll try that. Or, since it will cost a lot of money in shipping to send the new weights back, maybe I'll just be lazy and use the new ones :)

Looking at the whole assembly, it looks like if I mark the lead and then drill it in a drill press, the hole will be too close to the rib. It looks like the hole needs to be drilled at a slight angle away from the rib.

This will take a lot of carefull work since these two ribs and skin don't seem to fit together too well.
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com