What to do first? (wings)

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Hi all,

I just unpacked the wing kit so the first thing to do is inventory. After that, it looks like the first order of business is to build the wing jigs.

Does anyone see a problem if I did the worst task first-debur, flute, and strighten all of the ribs?

I have a nice clean workbench now and it seems like a good time to work on the ribs before I get started on the spars and jig.

I would think it would be nice to get to the part of installing the ribs and having them all ready to go!

Thanks
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I did spars then ribs. You don't need the jigs yet. I held off as long as I could to preserve space in the shop.

Spike

Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

-----Original message-----
To:
rv7@rivetbangers.com
Sent:
Sat, Apr 14, 2012 13:21:33 GMT+00:00
Subject:

Hi all, I just unpacked the wing kit so the first thing to do is inventory. After that, it looks like the first order of business is to build the wing jigs. Does anyone see a problem if I did the worst task first-debur, flute, and strighten all of the ribs? I have a nice clean workbench now and it seems like a good time to work on the ribs before I get started on the spars and jig. I would think it would be nice to get to the part of installing the ribs and having them all ready to go! ThanksMark Pensenstadler RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered! 2011 RANS S-6S www.AircraftStickers.com www.AeroDraw.com rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39497#39497
Submitted via email

smiller
Class G

Post by smiller »

Preparing those ribs is a big and tedious job (unless you're not particularly particular). By the time you're up to the 50th one you may want to give up airplane building altogether! So I think starting them right away is a fine idea, do a little at a time, and when you need a little break, go do something else (finish the inventory, or remove some vinyl from other parts, or whatever).

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Yes it's a tedious job. I remember doing the ribs on my S-6S and it was not too fun. That's why I want to get them done and out of the way first. Once they're done, it's going to be nice to just rivet them on when the time comes!

(oh, and when I get tired of doing the ribs, maybe I can work on my third trim tab!!!)
Mark
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

DaAV8R
Class G

Ribs

Post by DaAV8R »

I think I spent something ridiculous like 80 hours preparing and priming ribs. The payoff is when go to install them and everything is nice and straight and goes together correctly. You probably already know this but there is a tool that you can easily make to straighten the flanges. It is well worth the time to make the tool.

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Are you talking about the tool in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTXqw-YV ... re=related

If not, please show me your tool...er...um...your rib flange straightening tool! I've been wondering how I'm going to straighten these!
Mark
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

DaAV8R
Class G

Rib straightener

Post by DaAV8R »

s10sakota wrote:Are you talking about the tool in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTXqw-YV ... re=related

If not, please show me your tool...er...um...your rib flange straightening tool! I've been wondering how I'm going to straighten these!
Yep, thats the one. I made my own. Had to play around with the angle a bit but once I got the angle right it worked like a charm.

I used the vise grip style fluting pliers to do the fluting. They allow you to essentially set the depth of the flute and repeat. I started at the rear of the rib with a shallow flute and fluted all the way to the nose. I then set the pliers to flute deeper and started at the portion of the rib that still had a bit of a curve and again fluted to the nose. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat until you have a straight rib.

I'm not sure how you do it without the vice grip fluting pliers, but I'm sure many have succeeded without them.

Robert

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Well, I used the non-vicegrip style fluting pliers and they came out just fine, too. Not all the flutes are the same depth, at least in my case, so I found that overdoing it just a bit put too much curvature in the rib, then a slight bit of pressure with my seamer pliers on 2 or 3 flutes at a time could be used to flatten them out just a bit , flattening the rib until it was good. When the rib would lie flat on a workbench surface, I knew it was good to go.

Mark, I like your idea of getting the ribs done now. Just hunker down and get 'em done. It's the worst part of the build, I think. Then the rest of the wing building will be a pleasure. I remember spending a couple weeks just doing ribs, and how good it felt to have them all done.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

cbkillion
Class G

Post by cbkillion »

Be sure you debur the lightening holes really well. Your wrists and fingers will thank you later.
- Brett
...Fuselage...?

www.rv8plane.com