Canopy mostly done!

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
tmbg
Class C

Canopy mostly done!

Post by tmbg »

Got through the scary parts with no pain. Only cracked one hole to the edge, and it was as I was screwing the canopy down to the frame. I had a little bit too much material in the joggle on the side rails, and it was extending down to the angled part of the joggle. When I tightened the first screw on the side rail, it pulled that gap out and cracked at that hole. I pulled it all back off and trimmed so the plex would lay down in the joggle without hitting the angle, and now all is well.

My fitment is not spectacular; the gap between the aft window and the canopy at the roll bar is pretty wide on one side, and it looks like my side skirts might not end up flush with the side skins, but I figure I'll end up trimming most of this in fiberglass anyway.

I'll be away from RV building for the next two weekends, but when I come back, I'll do the side skirts and then rivet the skins on the frame. I doubt I'll do any of the fiberglass work right away.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Sweet. It sounds like you kept your head on straight when it went sideways on you. Good job. Keep the pics coming.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Doakes
Class E

Post by Doakes »

The canopy is the hardest to make fit, keep making small adjustments and it will come out fine. I started out wanting everything to fit just right. I plan on first flight in August and by this time I gave up on everything to be "just right".
It still is good and I am happy. You will be too!
Dave

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Ian,

The canopy is certainly a Zen thing!

Be one with the plastic!

Keep at it! Nuttin to it but ta do it!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!