My Baby is Growing Up!

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
BSwayze
Class C

My Baby is Growing Up!

Post by BSwayze »

She now has legs, and is on her gear!

This was so easy, I'm still in shock. Did it all by myself in less than an hour. My friend Bill, who rides a Harley and lives around the corner, loaned me his very nice engine hoist. This thing folds up and can be pushed into a corner when you're not using it. Very cool. I used it and a nylon strap to lift the fuselage up high enough to slip the gear legs in. Here's a shot right as I was hooking it up:

I took the nylon strap and made a loop through the top two holes in the Dynafocal mount. The hook on the engine hoist lifted on this loop. My shop is tight, but here you can see the hoist in place in front of the firewall, ready to lift on the loop.

Then it was as simple as pumping on the handle and lifting it up. Slip in a gear leg, then standing on a step, I was able to reach in through the opening in front of the canopy and slip the AN5-22A bolt into place.

I can't believe how cool this looks. Much work remains, but this is a big step, and a great day!

More pictures and a lot more detail is on my log page for this day, right here:

http://www.europa.com/~swayze/RV-7A/Fir ... 21208.html
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bruce, Major visible progress there!

Looks great!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Wow that is sooo Kewl! :thumbsup:

I love you guys, you are quite inspirational.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Bruce just remember to make all the holes you need for hooking up your engine and instruments before hanging the engine!

Doakes
Class E

Post by Doakes »

Bruce,
I remember hanging mine in a similar manner. It really made it look like an airplane. Just wait until you hang the wings with the gear on. Man does it look finished. Glad for you!
Dave

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Bruce,

Congratulations! Getting the RV onto its gear is a big day!

Make sure you grease the engine mount tubes and the landing gear legs where they meet. They don't have any powercoating on them, and rust does have the potential to form there.

Now get that engine on there!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

DaAV8R
Class G

Looks good

Post by DaAV8R »

Looks good Bruce. Congrats on the progress.

Just a note on your rigging (yellow strap). A good rule of thumb is to maintain a 2 to 1 height to width relationship on your rigging straps. In other words, create an equilateral triangle with the rigging. Also watch those sharp edges like the hole in the mount. I know this is a light load for the strap, but if the strap broke or got cut, it might ruin your day.

You might guess, I do alot of heavy rigging :mrgreen:

Robert

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Very cool Bruce. Congrats on the progress.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

Bruce,

Looks like you still have the firewall recess to put on the firewall. I just riveted mine on today and it went OK, but I was glad to have no engine mount in the way. I'm also going to get the lower cowling hinges in place before the engine mount goes on for good.

Bruce
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

leffler
Class E

Post by leffler »

Bob Barrett wrote:Bruce just remember to make all the holes you need for hooking up your engine and instruments before hanging the engine!
And mount any rear facing assessories too. The SD-20 alternator was a pain to install with the engine on the bench. I can't imagine what is would have been like with the engine on the mount.

bob

p.s. Congrats on getting the gear on! That is always one of the memorable milestones.
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thanks, guys, for all the hints!

Bruce, you're right... I didn't have the firewall recess riveted on at this point. My main objective for the day was to get the mains on the fuselage. Putting the motor mount and nose wheel on was an afterthought. I did it the next day. It was so easy, it only took a few moments and I just wanted to see what it looked like. It came off shortly after the picture was taken. This last weekend I got the firewall recess riveted on for good, the battery box mounted for good, and I think I'm finally ready for the big day. I'll be installing the engine very soon. Time to saddle up those ponies!

Mike, thanks for the reminder about greasing the bare metal spots on the gear legs. All those places got a nice coating of grease.

Bob, the only items not mounted on the accessory case at this point are the oil filter adapter and the left mag. I don't have either of those items at this point, so I'll install them when I get them. I think I should be able to get those on with little difficulty. I figure I'll be doing oil changes, after all, so one needs to work in there anyway, right?

Next time I have an update, it should be a big one! :)
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Bruce, Yes you can mount the mag and most likely the filer adapter after the engine is mounted. However you should be able to make a hole if the firewall for the P-lead to the Mag. If there is any doubt about the filer adapter wait to hang the engine until you can install it. When it comes to drilling holes in the firewall after the engine is hung it is really the pits! Unless it goes somewhere far away from the engine. :bang: :bang:

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Bruce, don't sweat drilling all the firewall penetrations. Popping the complete mount with engine and gear only took a few minutes. My non-standard throttle quadrant had me routing the cables completely different. It would have been a mistake to drill before the engine was hung.

Brian
Townsend, MT

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Bruce, if you are building a tail wheel RV-7 you can remove engine and enine mount pretty easy but if building a nose-wheel that is another story!

BSwayze
Class C

Thanks for all the hints!!

Post by BSwayze »

I appreciate all the hints, my friends. Thanks so much! I'm confident that I can drill the remaining holes for the control cables with my right-angle drill with little trouble. I have to put the engine on first because my configuration is non-standard as well. Similar to yours, Brian. Thanks for the picture! When I figure out the penetration points, it should be a breeze. I'll keep the posts coming. I'm keeping this engine hoist on hand, in case I need to pull the whole thing off the firewall. I have a friend here who took his engine off a couple of times, mount and all. Tri-gear model on a 9A. He assures me it's not so bad and he will help me if needed.

Anyway, the big day has come, for another major milestone. My engine is now installed! This feels as good as any milestone so far, like putting the wings on for the first time, or sitting in the cabin for the first time.

I contacted my good friend Mike Rhodes (rv9av8tr on VAF). Mike lives not far from here, and he has a fabulous finished RV-9A hangered at Troutdale. He has offered me hints and help on several occasions. He's a great guy. I used his hints along with the "Illustrated Guide to Engine Hanging" I got from VAF. It allowed me to get prepared as well as I think it's possible for one to prepare. Anyway, Mike offered to stop by after work and lend me a hand.

I didn't want too many helpers, but my Dad came by, along with my brother Larry, and my nephew Philip. Thanks to Mike's experience and expertise, it all went smoothly and we had it finished in less than an hour! Thanks, Mike!!

I have a more detailed description in my log on my website, but I just wanted to say THIS REALLY FEELS GREAT!!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon