Nose gear bolt size for RV7A

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
simatos
Class E

Nose gear bolt size for RV7A

Post by simatos »

I am up in the Great White North working but want to order up some goodies from VAn's. One thing I need is the Big Bolt that holds the Nose Wheel hub to the Fork on the RV7. Anyone know the size of that bolt off hand? Thanks Gary

Doakes
Class E

Post by Doakes »

If I understand you correctly it is a AN5-17A.
It is on drawing C1
The bolt appears to hold the WD-631

Dave

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

Thanks As I said I am away from home with no RV7 info drawings or paperwork but want to include this bolt in an up coming order from Van's. I don't think I describe this BOLT very well but it is a big one over 5 inches in length which goes thru one wheel fork, then thru the wheel hub then thru the other fork sort of acting like an axle. I wonder if the one you are describing is the one that holds the nose gear leg to the mount near the firewall. Anyway thanks for checking, Im going to try Vans on the phone now and see if I can nail down the part number.

Doakes
Class E

Post by Doakes »

You are correct I now understand what you wish. I re-looked and it is a AN6-60A axle bolt.
Dave

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

I would swap this out for a drilled bolt so you can use a cotter pin and castle nut. If you squeeze the forks too much, the front bearings will bind. I went with the Grove nose wheel with the internal spacer, and even then you don't want to torque that bolt down as tight as it can be. I drilled a hole in the end of the bolt and secured the nut with the cotter pin.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

Excellent you guys, thanks for your help, Cheers Gary