Fuel Tank Attach bracket?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

It's been almost a year since I've worked on the RV!! It's time to get back at it.

I am on the step where I am to drill the holes in the fuel tank attach bracket, tank rib, and backing plate.

The plans indicate that the bracket is to be 2 inches from front to back. In another location, the plans indicate that the aft end of the attach bracket is to be 2" from the front of the rib. Because the bracket sits in the rib, the bracket actually ends up being about 2 and 1/8" from the front of the rib. See the pic-this will make sense!

So should I make the bracket an 1/8" shorter so that the back of the bracket is the 2" from the front of the rib?

How important is this exact measurement? I know that it has to line up with a bracket that gets riveted to the side of the fuselage. If the bracket on the tank is 1/8" off, will it fit when I go to install the wings?

I'm not sure if I should just put this on as is, or if I should file the bottom part of the bracket.

Thanks...

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I wouldn't shave anymore of the bracket as that will be a structural piece. if memory serves me correct the matching piece on the fuselage gets located using this bracket so its not super critical relations to that last eighth inch. Check the preview plans.

Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

-----Original message-----
To:
rv7@rivetbangers.com
Sent:
Sun, Jun 9, 2013 14:39:34 GMT+00:00
Subject:

var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-32227099-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();
It's been almost a year since I've worked on the RV!! It's time to get back at it. I am on the step where I am to drill the holes in the fuel tank attach bracket, tank rib, and backing plate. The plans indicate that the bracket is to be 2 inches from front to back. In another location, the plans indicate that the aft end of the attach bracket is to be 2" from the front of the rib. Because the bracket sits in the rib, the bracket actually ends up being about 2 and 1/8" from the front of the rib. See the pic-this will make sense! Image So should I make the bracket an 1/8" shorter so that the back of the bracket is the 2" from the front of the rib? How important is this exact measurement? I know that it has to line up with a bracket that gets riveted to the side of the fuselage. If the bracket on the tank is 1/8" off, will it fit when I go to install the wings? I'm not sure if I should just put this on as is, or if I should file the bottom part of the bracket. Thanks...RV-7A Tail kit done, wing spars and ribs done. http://www.AeroDraw.com - RV Illustrations! rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=41354#41354
Submitted via email

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

It's PERFECT!

Slam it on there!

The sheet meat flange that mounts to the fuse bends easily to make up any irregularities or errors.

Nuttin' to it but ta do it!

...and welcome back to RV land. I know how it feels!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Yeah, what CJ said! Looks good to me, too. Build on!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

Thanks guys!

You might have seen my post in the classifieds where I listed my wing and tail kit for sale.

I was going to sell them because as sad as this is to say, I think GA's days are numbered.

But a year after I stopped working on the RV, I went to a Young Eagles fly in where there were 8-9 RV's there! Then I started talking to guys there who didn't think GA's future is as bad as I think it is (I think they are wrong) but the positive is, I decided to build this RV and fly anyway. It's what I enjoy. And in 5-10 years if I'm left with an airplane that's completely worthless because no one in this country has money to spend on flying anymore, then oh well!

I've got more done in the last 4 days than I have in the last year! Feels good. In fact, I squeezed the first wing rivet today in the leading edge!

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Many times during my build I had people say the same thing. Why are you building a lawn sculpture? When Avgas went over $4, they said when it hits $5-6 it'll crush aviation. And yes the economy did upset the balance.
If I listened to all the Nay-sayers, I wouldn't be flying today. I'd be hunkered down in my shelter afraid to look outside. BUT now I've got 200hrs on my Magic Carpet and loving each minute of freedom.

SO...go back in the shop, pound those rivets and get flying. Times a wasting.
Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

duplicate post deleted
Brian
Townsend, MT

RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

I agree Brian. One of the good things about my airline job is that I get LOTS of time off. I've been so bored lately that I've almost been dreading the end of my trips because I didn't want to go home and be bored!

The RV gives me something constructive to do with my time and I just need to ignore all the doom and gloom about the decline of GA. IF GA disappears, I'm gonna have one cool lawn decoration!!