More $&*&@# Tank Problems...

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
RV7A
Class E

More $&*&@# Tank Problems...

Post by RV7A »

I can honestly say that building these RV fuel tanks has been one of the most miserable experiences of my life. This is one of the main reasons I stopped working on the RV a year ago.

When I was 13, I snapped both of the bones in my lower arm in half, giving my arm an almost 90 degree bend. That was a pleasurable, enjoyable, happy experience compared to these dang tanks. :x

Because it's been so long since I've worked on the tanks, I wanted to cleco everything back together just to make sure everything is ready to go.

After wrestling with the ribs for an hour, I finally was able to cleco them to the skin.

But check this out...

This is the tank bracket. Notice the space behind it? Once the rib is cleco'd in, it gets a bow to it. Here's the backside with the W-410 in place...

I'm not sure how I will be able to rivet this together once the rib is riveted in.

I am now at the point where I'm either going to pack this plane away, or pay someone to finish these tanks. :(

The fit of these pieces is the worst I have ever seen in an airplane kit, but I guess it's taboo not to drink the happy Vans cool-aide...

RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

uh...I'm just irritated and venting...sorry 8)

It would be awesome if I could join an EAA chapter. But with my job, it's been years since I've had a Thursday off to go to a meeting!!

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

Looks like you need to flute the ribs a bit more to get everything square.

I didn't have a whole lot of issues building the tanks. Just plan ahead and take it slow. Tape up everything, keep the surfaces super clean, be careful with the proseal and don't make a huge mess. I did the fay sealing method and it worked great.

The real test in the build is the canopy.... You can look forward to that! :mrgreen:
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I think Bruce is right a little more fluting should help. Do you have a tech counselor available? Are there any other RV builders in the area who could give you a second or third opinion? Get help don't give up! Perseverance builds airplanes! My wife says perseverance is nice word for stubborn bull headed :bang: :bang:

RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

Ya I'm going to have to search for an RV builder or tech counselor. Like I said, I can never make a meeting to the local EAA chapter (wish I was retired!) and even on perfect weather weekend days I drive to the airport and the EAA hangar is locked up with no one in sight. Sad really.

But I'll have to find out who the tech guy is and just call him.

Anyone here near Detroit??

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Brian
Townsend, MT

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Here's 2 that might be of some help

Dan Valle-Westland, MI
Home - (313) 539-9818