main gear

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
paulie
Class G

main gear

Post by paulie »

I'll ask here since I got nothing but stupid comments when I asked on vaf (what a great resource, not.)
Anyone know how to identify the left and right gear legs on a A model?
Are they symmetrical?
I assume not since vans has different part numbers for each.
Thankd

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

This is from the fog if my limited memory from close to 10 years ago, so reader beware.....

With the mounting bolt hole in the gear leg being pre-drilled, the angle that the axle makes once that hole is lined up with the mating hole in the gear leg mount will tell you which leg is which. As I recall, I think on my gear Vans had marked "L" and "R" on the very end of each leg. They must not be doing that now. Or maybe I wrote those on....... Again, it was awhile ago and several dead brain cells since.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Re: main gear

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

paulie wrote: Are they symmetrical?
I assume not since vans has different part numbers for each.
Thankd
Cant tell you for the RV world, but usually parts that are similar but for different sides are usually numbered odd and even numbers.

Example:

123ABC456-11 left hand

123ABC456-12 right hand

maybe that helps some, but check you drawings as I am not the word of the home built gods.

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Mine were labeled the left was U-901A-L-PC, I think if you line the hole up on the upper part of your gear leg and the hole in the top of the gear leg weldment you can tell which is right and left. I am not this far but I held my right gear leg up to my left gear leg weldment and the bottom of the gear leg where the wheel mounts was either facing back towards the tail or in a somewhat vertical position almost facing down toward the ground. Which would tell me it was not the correct leg for that side. Hope that helps.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

paulie
Class G

Post by paulie »

Thanks for serious replies, all I got on vaf was dumbass comments as usual.