Quick build order

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
Joew
Class G

Quick build order

Post by Joew »

I'm sure others are or have been in this dilemma. I'm done with the wings, tail except for the tips. I'm working on the QB fuse, have it on its gear and the engine is coming at the end of April. But
I'm having a tough time moving forward- seems like I'm bouncing around.

Any suggestions on a order of build? I'm working with Stein for a panel design, but can't seem to go out and wrap up things that need to get done- does that make sense? I'm progressing, but not steadily. I'd finish a task, then spin my wheels for a week figuring out what to do next

Having a list or order of build would be helpful. Am I nuts or is this a normal thing

Suggestions?

sibriggs
Class G

Re: Quick build order

Post by sibriggs »

Do as many small tasks as you can, that haven't been done. Seat belt brackets, mounting the ELT, some firewall fixtures based on plan, are the wheels brakes, wheel pants done? Finish the wing tips, lights installed etc.

Been there similar thinking , had to keep plugging along.

Steve
AP-IA - ATP,CFII,Multi,SES,Gliders

Built a Vari-Eze in the 80's, now RV9

sibriggs
Class G

Post by sibriggs »

Also, is the canopy done? When the engine comes, do complete installation, then mount avionics boxes and run wires, plumb engine hoses, wire engine, lots to do still.

Stay at it you'll get there before you expect to and be flying.

Steve who hits pauses also.
AP-IA - ATP,CFII,Multi,SES,Gliders

Built a Vari-Eze in the 80's, now RV9

leffler
Class E

Post by leffler »

There is a large RV group in Medina. I would reach out to Gary Baker to arrange to meet with somebody local that may be able to assist and provide mentoring. Gary is an EAA Technical Counselor with the local EAA chapter in Medina. Email me if you can find the chapter's contact information.

I'm a little more SW at DLZ.

bob
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

The canopy was the most difficult part of the build for me. Once that was done, it was all downhill!

The other big thing that slowed me down was just getting off my wallet to spend the $$ necessary to keep the project moving along. It is easy to make quick progress if everything you need is sitting there already to go. If you haven't decided on the panel items yet, you probably should get that firmed up. Then you can start figuring out where to start routing wires, electronic boxes, etc.

At the end of the project, it is just a big punch list of items and then it gets fun to check each one off the list. Start at one end and work your way to the other, then you are ready to fly.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Joew
Class G

Post by Joew »

Bob,
I know Gary and helped him a bit on his 6. I'm also a member of that EAA chapter, but I'm still stuck. I live out in the sticks, the opposite side of town from Gary. Dave Ross is also nearby, and is a tech counselor as well. You know how it goes though, everyone is busy and timing doesn't seem to work out.

Engine is coming Monday, and I'm working with Stein on the panel. Just trying to keep it moving forward