Preview plans and training kit here!

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 7/7A.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Well, my first step has arrived!! Wow! What a TON of information to start with!

Has anyone done the training kit, or did most of you just dive right in?

I am going to do a workshop at OSH this summer, but I do have some metal experience under my belt, including riveting. I am planning on ordering an empennage kit at OSH as well. That'll give me enough time to do the training kit and thoroughly read the preview plans.

I am going to spend the evening getting familiar with the first few pages, I'll check back here later.

8) :grin: :yay:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

guycole
Class G

I ordered the training course...

Post by guycole »

...then I discovered I didn't understand the single sheet of instructions. Specifically, the "brake" part. I emailed Vans and inquired if I had recieved all the instructions. Vans insisted I had. I then took a builders course and purchased some training videos. Most mysteries have been resolved and I'm now making progress.

IMO, the problem w/the "training course" is that it assumes you also have the preview plans. I did not, and when I emailed Van's they didn't mention it either. It wasn't until I got to the builders course that I figured this out.
Guy Cole (KQ6J) - Expert Plain And Fancy Bit Twiddling.
Cherokee Owner, RV-8 Assembler.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

You should be fine under Jack's tutelidge.

I also took the Sportair workshop when it was in town. It was well worth it. Combine that with (and probably most important) getting to know fellow builders, you will be fine.

See you at OSH!

Booking the Cherokee Six TODAY!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I started out with the training kit. I have some notes and such about it on my builders blog. I am very glad that I went that way. Its nice being able to pound stuff out and learn without being worried that you will screw it up. Welcome to the club!!

-- John

Has anyone done the training kit, or did most of you just dive right in?
Submitted via email

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I plan on using Jack as a huge resource-though, he may not know it yet!

Thanks spike, I will check out the blog today.

I didn't get very far last night. I watched the Van's DVD, and read the magazine type brochure they sent me. So, the plans are sitting out waiting for me to puruse through.

Even though I don't have an actual sub-kit yet, I feel like I'm on my way! Thanks!

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I started a website/builders log last week and put my chronicles of the training kit there.

If you're interested, you can check it out here-http://www.chadandbrittne.com/RV-7.htm

Hope that links. Anyway, I am done with the kit, and it turned out pretty good. There were several screw ups, but I guess that's what it's for.

I may do another one before Oshkosh since I am waiting 'til then (I think) to order the tail kit. I am trying to finish up my CFI rating before OSH, and the tail kit would prevent me from doing that. I may not wait, we'll see...
[/url]
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support