Counterweight arm void.

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A

Counterweight arm void.

Post by Guest »

Does anybody fill in the blank area oppsite the the fiberglass tip on the elevators and rudder counterweight arm? Or is this a no no. If you do fill it in what would work good to fill it in with? I realize that it woud have to be balanced after it is done. Thanks

8 Emp

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Welcome (whoever you are :) ) :thumbsup: Im a bit confused by your question. Do you mean the void between the tip and the rib or do you mean some other void? You leave the void between the tip and the outside rib but you cover the end hole with fiberglass or some such.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Post by Guest »

It is the blank area on the inboard side of the end rib that is created by the counterbalance skin. thanks Lyle

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

OH, ok, I understand now. Sometimes Im a bit slow. :headscratch:

I dont know of anyone that has done that but I cant see a reason why you couldnt. As a matter of fact I like that idea and might just ponder on it a bit for PJ. The only thing I can think of that you would want to consider is access to the counterweight. Im sure that it would make the tail look that much more finished.

Does anyone else know of this being done or why it shouldnt?

-- Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Let it breathe.

Encapsulated areas are a greenhouse for corrosion.
Cheers, pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

Yes it has been done. Some guys glass and fill in the entire tips to the point you no longer see rivet lines. Looks real clean that way but creates more work. Makes it look composite. But the purists say a riveted airplane should show rivet lines. I agree with Mustang. Give it somewhere to let moisture out. It really is your own decision.
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

If you mean the tips on the elevators, Yes... I plan on doing so, as that is the leading edge which is open. I plan on using West System's fiberglass chemicals.

On the HS tips, I plan on leaving them open. They face aft and won't affect it aerodynamically.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

You should blank off the fiberglass cavities in the tips of the stabs and the vertical as well. It tells you a couple of options in the instruction pack from Van's. Do it one way or the other.

When you originally asked the question, I thought you meant the inner rib cavities behind the counterweights. They should be left open as stated.

Also, a number of builders have used excessive bondo and glass smoothing out the step formed by the counterweight skin, E713, I think it is. Avoid this also. Some older RV's have been found to have corrosion under the glass/bondo in this area. Sooner or later the aluminum and glass delaminate and the water wicks in by capilliary action, and causes corrosion.
Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

Post by Guest »

While we are on the subject of tip's, i was wondering, when installing the tip's on the empenage should alum backing strip's be used as per plan's for the wing tip's? It doe's not show them on the tail drawing's

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Dear Guest,

Good Question! It would seem that everyone does, and this is because there is not much material in the tip fiberglass to catch the pop rivet. I sliced up some .016 alum that I will laminate onto the inside of the area to be riveted. I will then drill the holes out and dimple or countersink as required for a nice flush rivet.

I was talking to my experienced RV guru the other day and this is what he does. (He is building his eighth RV)

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

The old plans show using .025 strips under the tips. Do your plans fail to show this?
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

Post by Guest »

Nope, not on my set of plans. Even the detailed drawings dont show it. However, it is shown for the wingtips. I think that I will cut the strip's from the bundled scrap from van's for the tail tips