New owner coming up on Annual !!

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
Parakka
Class G

New owner coming up on Annual !!

Post by Parakka »

Hi Folks,

New owner of a RV-8A and loving it!! I am coming up on the annual condition inspection (next month) so looking to purchase consumables, line up tools, jacks etc.. So was looking for help from folks who's been around this block a few times :) I will have the builder assist me, and local shop do the firewall forward.

Besides engine oil, wheel bearing grease, some 6-32x5/8" screws, machine oil for lube,
What are other consumables I should order now to have on hand?

I downloaded Van's condition inspection checklist.. so I have that as a guideline..
A few squaks with my RV-8A.. I get strong nose wheel shimmy from time to time.. and treads on my tires are pretty thin.. So, looking to get new tires. The tires seem to hold air quite well, so plan to keep the tubes.
What would you guys recommend for tires?
(The builder recommended Desser retreads, on the plane now.. )

I hear the standard mains are 500x5-6.. but I can't seem to find a size for the nose tire..
What is tire size for the nose wheel?
Also, I intend to visit the torque on the nose fork to address the shimmy
Any other suggestions to reduce the shimmy?
Also, while there, I might replace all brake liners (pads) so they are new on my watch..
Does anyone have p/n for the pads?
And,
Whats the best way to raise the plane to remove the wheels?
Wing jack on wing jack points? Any other means?

The floor panel in my plane is riveted.. I want to change to nut plate and screws -because I expect to get in there and install autopilot servos sometime this year (not during the annual)..
Any suggestions to make the floor panel removable for easy access?

Actually, I'll take all the help and guidance I can get to do my first condition inspection !!
If anyone has a step-by-step condition inspection manual written up, would love to have a copy as guide!

Many thanks!

-Tony

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: New owner coming up on Annual !!

Post by bullojm1 »

Hi Tony,

Welcome to Rivetbangers! There aren't that many consumables I go through, so your list is relatively complete. I have electronic ignition, so every annual I swap out the auto-plugs due to their low cost. I also have the K&N filter oil/cleaner to recharge the air filter.

The one thing I bought that has made all the difference in the world to me for an annual was a lightweight cordless drill. I used a heavy DeWalt the first couple of annuals and it was very wearing after a while. I bought a Black and Decker LDX120C ($34.00 Amazon) and I LOVE THIS DRILL! One charge of the battery gets me through the entire annual (Alternatively, there is the 2-speed LDC220C for $62.95). So make sure you have a lightweight drill. It will make all the difference in the world.

I'm a tailwheel pilot, so I can't comment much on how to reduce your shimmy. I switched from the Van's stock tires to Dresser Retreads a number of years ago, and I am very happy with the results. They seem to be great tires.

The part number for the pads is RA066-10600-4K ($26.50 for a set of 4 + rivets). You will need a special tool to set the rivets. Cleveland Tools sells a set of dimple dies for $29.00 (p/n 4625). Alternatively, you can buy the dedicated Rapco tool (p/n 10-02065 , Aircraft Spruce, $37.75). I have both and prefer the dedicated tool.

I made a set of wing jacks with Harbor Freight 3-ton jacks (p/n: 36468, $48.99ea w/o coupon), plywood, electrical metal conduit and hose clamps. They work great!

http://rvplane.com/?dayid=1015

I think I answered most of your questions?? :? :? :? If not, feel free to hit me with more!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Parakka
Class G

Post by Parakka »

Thanks Mike, Much appreciate the reply, and pictures on the home made jack -very cool!!

Ha ha ha, I could use a light weight drill/screw driver.. My workhorse is a pre-lithium PorterCable.. talk about heavy and chunky.. I presume this drill can be used to drive/remove screws -slowly- ?

One additional question: Would you have a p/n for quick fuel drain on the wings?
Along this line, is there a "Parts Manual" for a Van's standard RV-8A, to look up parts?
(Used to have one for my Grumman Tiger; it was to die for!)

Happy flying!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Tony,

I used a clunky 18V DeWalt for my first couple of annuals....it was heavy and the battery needed to be charged daily. By the time I removed all of the screws for the seat pan, my arm was so tired I went home for the day! the B&D lightweight drill have a built in clutch which allows you to not overdrive the screws when installing them. One of the best tool purchases I've made for the RV.

Van's sells the quick drains for $15.95 - p/n CAV-110 (http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/sto ... uct=cav110). It probably wouldn't hurt for you to pick up a set of plans from Van's - it lists all the parts you would ever need!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Parakka
Class G

Post by Parakka »

Thanks again Mike!
Ordered the preview plans on USB stick from Vans, this will let me review and prepare while travelling :)
Also the brake pads and quick drains and the Accessories catalog.. Hoping all arrive inside the 6wks mentioned with US Mail..
best wishes..

Parakka
Class G

Post by Parakka »

Mike,

Just wanted to circle back and let you know, I took your advice on the drill, the brake pads, the quick drain and the plans from Vans.. I will set up a wing jack like you show if I cannot borrow one from the shop at my airport..
Thanks a million!

-Tony