Rudder attach & horn

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
speyers
Class G

Rudder attach & horn

Post by speyers »

1) I am trying to fit the top rudder rib and doubler to the spar. I have an older kit that is not pre punched so I need to locate the correct spot to drill the rib to the spar. How can I make sure I am doing this in the correct spot? The plans and drawings are not helping a whole lot. :?
2) I considered installing the heimball ends and test fitting the spar on the horizontal stab. But I ran into a nother problem in that the plan to not give a dimension for how far the heimballs are installed into the nutplates. There are dimensions for this on the Elevator drawing for those... but not the rudder as near as I can figure.
3) One last question, there are 7 heimball ends with the kit and one of them is longer 2 1/4 inches vs. 1 3/8 for the others. Does the longer one go on the lower rudder attach? Again, the plans don't show. Thanks for the help.

N258RE
Class G

Post by N258RE »

1) cleco skin on and drill through the rib after measuring how far from the the spar the center of the tab is???

2)top is 51/64 middle is 59/64 bottom is 1 3/64 measured fromthe forward face of the spar web to the center of the bearing
according to my prepunched plans

3) yes

4) where in michigan are you? pinconning here

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

And welcome to the group. :welcome: Have fun and bring some more :thumbsup:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

speyers
Class G

Post by speyers »

"where in Michigan are you from"

I live in Holland, MI. Have not found many RV builders in the area though.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

speyers wrote: I live in Holland, MI. Have not found many RV builders in the area though.
I used to date a girl from Holland, MI! Nice town! Two words...Tulip Festival! :o
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com