A Milestone Has Been Reached

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
ptrotter
Class E

A Milestone Has Been Reached

Post by ptrotter »

I've reached a milestone in my RV-8 construction. All of the metalwork for the fuselage has been completed. It is now ready for the interior to be painted and the wiring to begin. Hopefully this weekend I will paint the interior and then it is on to the fun part :-)

Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Paul-

Awesome! That looks great. Congrats. Make sure and post some pics / tips about how you go about painting the inside!

Thomas
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Paul, looks great! Congratulations on getting ot that point. Like Thomas mentioned any pointers you come up with on painting the interior would be appreciated.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Paul, that is GREAT!

Looks awesome!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Looks really good Paul. Hope you have a bit more space to get around all sides than that one picture would indicate. Must be a great feeling to have that much of the airframe completed.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Reminds me of an old Spitfire interior. Looks great! What color are you going to paint it?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Chad, that IS the finish color!

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

Actually the cockpit is going to be painted gray. Anything that is not visible will remain the primer green. I had toyed with the idea of leaving it all green but it is a very flat paint and it gets dirty very easily. I haven't decided yet whether to paint the panel gray or black. And the outside I have no idea. I really want to paint the entire exterior flat black, but that is not very practical :-)
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Who cares about practical!!?? I think flat black would be feakin' sweet!! 8) 8) 8) SERIOUSLY! :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Nice photos Paul,

I see you decided on two access plates instead of one large one for the baggage to instrument panel area. Is it entirely plate nuts or is there a hinge pin on the bottom ?

I need to mask off areas and paint mine as well. I'll post a couple pics when done. Might be a while though, as I have been really swamped with work lately. :cry:
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

Dave,

Yes, I made 2 access panels. I wanted to keep the section in the center for strength. There is a hinge on the bottom so they fold down.

Today I made my first try at painting something other than primer. The only spray painting I've ever done has been the primer on the plane, so I really don't know what I'm doing. It came out acceptable, which is better than I expected:-) The only problem seems to be a little dust on the parts. Unfortunately I don't have a clean place to spray. It will have to do. The following picture shows the parts I did tonight. The paint is a 2-part epoxy and it went on pretty good. It took a lot less paint than I expected. The only annoying thing is cleaning the gun. I got spoiled with the water reducible primer I used that would clean up with water. I'll do some more parts tomorrow and then on the weekend I will do the inside of the fuselage.

Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT