Painting Suggestions Wanted

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
ptrotter
Class E

Painting Suggestions Wanted

Post by ptrotter »

I have been moving ahead with painting the interior of my fuselage and would like some suggestions on how to paint my roll bar. I painted the interior a dark gray and I can't decide whether to paint the roll bar to match or leave it the color Van's uses as contrast. I kind of like the contrast but wonder of it will look strange. I also need to decide if I should paint the control sticks and the rudder pedal assembly. My seats will be gray/charcoal gray. What do people think?

Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Hey Paul,

I had a feeling you'd get that painted before me... Working 2 jobs again put me behind, but helps to pay for the panel I really wanted.

Anyway, tell me about how your painting the interior went... Any gotchas or hindsight discoveries that you could share ?

I too have been thinking of painting the roll bars another color.
but I just might end up leaving them white for now and be done with it.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Paul, I say leave them alone.

The powder coat is a nice baked on finish that should endure nicely.

If and when it becomes compromised paint it then.

My $0.02.

BTW, looks GREAT!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I'll disagree...I'd paint 'em. Scuff the powdercoat a bit, and paint it! Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like the dove gray powdercoat color. My sticks and rudder pedals will be painted (or repowdercoated), and my rollbar isn't powdercoated with the tip up.

Paint! :evil:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

Another dilemma. I have time to think about this one.

Dave,

The painting was easier than I thought. My biggest problem was dust. I don't have a good place to paint so I ended up with a little dust, but it will have to do. It took less paint than I thought so I have a lot of paint left over. I used my HVLP system which worked ok, but I wish my turbine was a little more powerful. I think the paint could have atomized a little better, but it is acceptable. I have a few more pieces to paint, but they are not in the critical path of anything else.

I just got my Oregon Aero seat foam and it is very nice. I'll have them do the upholstery as well since everyone else has really long lead times.

My panel should be back from the cutter in about a week and I'll start putting it together. I have all the instruments and avionics.

My prop should be here in 3-4 weeks, I think. ACI was about 3 months behind schedule.

I'll do the aft wiring and then put on the aft turtle deck and then probbaly put it on the gear.

I'm still shooting for the end of the year to get in the air. We'll see...
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Paul, I would leave the powder coat in place if it were me. I like the contrast, it looks great! Just thought I would throw my $.02 worth in to help confuse the issue a little more. :evil:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

Thanks guys, all opinions are welcome.
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

Wicked Stick
Class B

Interior all painted

Post by Wicked Stick »

After spraying the front and rear baggage areas, I masked it all off in prepration for painting the flat black interior.

Here's a shot of the rear baggage area all painted. (The color is a bit brighter than shown due to poor lighting when I took the picture)

Here's a shot of the front baggage area and floor as well as the part of the front interior in flat black.

I wanted to reduce as much glare into the canopy from the interior as I could. Hopefully it won't make it too hot inside on a sunny day.
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

Looks good Dave. I like the idea of the flat black interior. I considered doing that myself, but I just didn't want to deal with more colors since I hate painting. I think it will look great. Will you paint your panel black as well?

The only issue I have with a flat paint is that it is much harder to keep clean. That is why I went with semi gloss. I think I'll be ok with glare.
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I don't care for a black panel, so I'm going with the same color as the baggage areas for the panel. (both are satin/flat colors.)

Also the seats will be the same two tone colors as well as the top plate for the fuel selector and right lower panel switch area. This should give good contrast making it easier to distinquish as well as the lighter color making it easier to place labels and placards to.
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Looks great Dave! I've already started painting some of my interior parts black as well. I'm using satin black, but haven't decided if I will do the whole interior or not yet. Can't decide on putting in a full interior or not. :?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

[quote="Wicked Stick"]I don't care for a black panel, so I'm going with the same color as the baggage areas for the panel. (both are satin/flat colors.)

Interesting. My primary reason for considering a black interior was to do a black panel. I just opted for simplicity and did everything one color.
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Me thinks you black interior guys are going to get toasty warm.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl