SPRAY LAT protective coating

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
Wicked Stick
Class B

SPRAY LAT protective coating

Post by Wicked Stick »

On Saturday, I decided to peel off all the layers of Saran Wrap that was on my plexiglass canopy from when Todd's shipped it. It was too thickly wrapped in some areas and I wanted to be able to see through when doing all the positioning and cutting of the canopy to the frame/fuselage.

I used a product called "SprayLat" which I got from Aircraft Spruce. It looks very much like Elmer's Glue when you open the bottle and poor it out. Since it's made to spray on, you can mix it 50/50 with water. Below you can see what it looks like once it's first sprayed on. (A thick layer is recommended)

I was worried it would remain a white milky opaque layer since I did spray it on rather thick in some areas, but as you can see below, it becomes a nice clear layer of protection as it dries. Here you can see the back is completely dry, and the front is still drying out.

This product seems to work very well, and I like how it protects but also lets you see through it much better than the shipping wrap.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

That's neat looking stuff! The first pictures make me think of foggles! Either that, or Cheech & Chong flying an RV-8 :o
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

How do you remove it when the time comes?
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Spike wrote:How do you remove it when the time comes?
Spike, you can simply peel it off just like the blue wrap on the aluminum. You just have to be sure you've sprayed a thick enough application so it peels off without tearing into little pieces.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

That's a neat product, I will have to have a look at it when the time comes. Page 75 in the 2006/2007 Aircraft Spruce book if anybody else wants to read about it. Thanks.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Doing the canopy now also. I hate the junk they put on the plexi and believe I'll be getting myself some of that stuff.

DickDe
Class G

Spraylat

Post by DickDe »

I used Spraylat on the canopy of my RV6 and it was on there for 3 years but I had "brushed" it on too thin in some places. 3M brand Adhesive Remover which does not harm plexiglas easily takes it off. During my extended construction I dragged countless extension cords across it and never made a mark or scratch in the canopy. I highly recommend it even inspite of the removal problems before discovering 3M's product.
Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD Flying
RV8 Wing Kit

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

Much different from this spraylat. This is from a work trip I had to make to 'The Boneyard' at Davis-Monthan AFB where we were scrounging spare parts off of F-14 Tomcats. The spraylat that is used is pretty incredible.