I finally decided to make the big cut.

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
Wicked Stick
Class B

I finally decided to make the big cut.

Post by Wicked Stick »

One of the most nerve wracking parts of the building process for me was deciding when to make the big cut in half on my RV-8 canopy.

After spending almost 2 weeks (a little at a time every other day or so) of trimming the front into position, I finally convinced myself that it was time to cut it in half. First I decided to omit the cardboard piece that Van's suggests to use, and instead I used some red electrical tape to mask a line for me to follow when cutting.
Next I heated up the garage to about 80-85 degrees, and then started to make the cut with a die-grinder and the cutting disc supplied from Van's in the kit.
The above photo was the second take, the first snapshot my son took of me I still looked way too nervous making this cut :P I remembered to smile slightly on the second one. :mrgreen:

I found it better to do the following: Make sure you clamp the rear half to the frame. Start my make a cut line about 1/2 way deep. then cut the entire top area through first, and leave a little on the sides as the last area to penetrate through.
Here's my end result of the day. ............... WHEW :!:
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

WHOA!

Awesome, Dave!

I am relieved that you made the cut too! Everyone says it is really a non-event!

I suppose it is one of those "nuttin' to it but ta do it" kinda things.

Looks nice and straight!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Looks good Dave! It is nice to get feedback on how others are approaching this task. Hopefully I'll get there eventually. :wink:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Sweet Dude!!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Looks good! Glad it wasn't a real problem.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I just did the same (in essence) cut on my tip up. Really is a non event I just kept telling myself "if I screw it up I'll just have to buy a new that's all" calmed me right down. :wink:

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I suppose we can always buy new if we screw something up... but I guess it's just that the canopy is a bigger boo-boo in the wallet to replace if you do than say an elevator skin.
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

I have seen numerous pictures on here of people cutting their canopy glass.

I do not recall one picture where the canopy glass is shown protected with any type of foam padding or barrier paper to prevent the glass from being scratched by airhose fittings, tools etc. while making the cut.

Just a thought.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Dave I'm not sure you got the joke. I was never comfortable making that cut. I'm still fitting it to the frame and it still scares me. I really don't want to have to replace it.

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

TomNativeNewYorker wrote:I have seen numerous pictures on here of people cutting their canopy glass.

I do not recall one picture where the canopy glass is shown protected with any type of foam padding or barrier paper to prevent the glass from being scratched by airhose fittings, tools etc. while making the cut.

Just a thought.
Tom,

I just made sure the air hose fittings were being held away from the glass while I was cutting it. Prior to marking and cutting I sprayed the entire canopy with a protective coating: Go here if you haven't already seen it: http://www.rivetbangers.com/cgi-php/for ... php?t=2326
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Dave, Just a suggestion. When I layed up the glass for my faring for the windscreen I included a layer of carbon fiber strands over the top.I purchased the carbon fiber from ACS. This make the faring very solid and it will not flex when you get out of the plane by using the faring to pull yourself up. Others have not put the carbon fiber in and their faring flexes quite a bit.

Dan N742DA

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I have to admit, I never heard of someone using a fairing to pull themselves up. The CF is probably a good idea. I try to be so careful getting into and out of a friends 8A for this very reason.

I guess you just have to be careful what you breath while sanding the CF for finish?
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I guess the "pull - up" applies only to the 4/8 series with sliding canopies! Ya gotta get out of there somehow!!
Dan RV8 N742DA

jetjoc
Class G

Post by jetjoc »

Do you have any photos on trimming the front of the canopy?
Thanks
Al Grajek