bypass valve for airbox

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
gbennett92b
Class G

bypass valve for airbox

Post by gbennett92b »

We are building an RV8A, IO-360, and in the process of installing the airscoop on the bottom of the cowl, the airbox & filter. I am looking for a BYPASS VALVE to install on the top of the airbox to allow alternate air in the event of freezing or some other clogging of the air intake. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, Gary B.

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

A friend of mine used the regular carb heat stuff to make one.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey, I was just reading in 28 years of the RVator and it seems to me that Van sells just the parts you are looking for!

Scroll through the engine pages. I will see if I can find it too.

I seem to recall that they listed part numbers for the alternate air stuff!

Do you have a copy of the book?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

gbennett92b
Class G

Post by gbennett92b »

Thanks for all the help. Checked Van's, no joy. We decided to make our own valve, a manually acivated door in the top of the airbox piano hinged at the bottom. Pulling the control knob will swing a rocker arm pushing the door down and open & pushing the knob in will pull it closed against the inside top of the airbox. Ram air inflight will then help to seal the door. Some folks have elected not to provide alternate air to the engine and that's ok. I think it is cheap and lightweight insurance but probably something we will never have to use, (kind of like the Halon fire extinguisher we plan to carry, or the airbags in my car, or the can of Mace in my wifes purse, or that miniature ID chip buried somewhere in my stupid dogs miniature neck.) Life is good.................