RV8 Fastback

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
dynamicjohn
Class E

RV8 Fastback

Post by dynamicjohn »

I've seen a few pictures of a RV-8 Fastback awhile back. At one time I saw a website for it as well. It wasn't a Rocket and I don't want a rocket.
I was wondering if anyone on here has a fastback or has seen the pics/website recently. I would like to know the difference in price and the work required to do something like this. It will be a little more sheet metal and one more cut in the canopy, I presume. But looks a lot better.
Thanks
-catfish

N733JJ
Class G

RV8 Fastback

Post by N733JJ »

There are two fastback mods that I know of.  ShowPlanes is popular and converts the canopy to a tip over.  Tom Clark has a kit that retains a slider canopy.  If you do a search on Doug Reeves site, I’m sure you can find ShowPlanes.  Tom operates a little under the radar but can be reached at Clarktm@cox.net (clarktm@cox.net)

Scott A. Jordan
N733JJ

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:52 PM
To: rv8@rivetbangers.com
Subject: RV8 Fastback

I've seen a few pictures of a RV-8 Fastback awhile back. At one time I saw a website for it as well. It wasn't a Rocket and I don't want a rocket.
I was wondering if anyone on here has a fastback or has seen the pics/website recently. I would like to know the difference in price and the work required to do something like this. It will be a little more sheet metal and one more cut in the canopy, I presume. But looks a lot better.
Thanks
-catfish

rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/cgi-php/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24333#24333

Submitted via email

dynamicjohn
Class E

Post by dynamicjohn »

I searched Tom Clark in the search enine and it took me to the 'other site' and that took me to Tom's site. From what I can see its modifing a few (four I think) bulkheads and the canopy itself. A diiferent canopy can be purchased from someone in Ohio and the Van's one can be deleted. Cost diffence around $500 - $1000 maybe. I'll check out showplanes next.
If anyone hasfirst hand experience please chip in.
Thanks Scott for the help
-catfish

dynamicjohn
Class E

Post by dynamicjohn »

Just checked out showplanes. I like how it is a bit more organized. I don't really care for the side tip canopy though. I think I would like the slider better.
I think for both options, one has to dismantle the QBs a bit. Taking off the rear top skin and those few bulkheads.
I like the look but that will be a decent amout of work and keep me from flying that much longer. But I still have a long way to go before that desicion has to me made so, Its still on the table as a possiblility.

AntiGravity
Class G

I have a TC one!

Post by AntiGravity »

I have the Tom Clark 'kit' and I can tell you now that all you get from Tom is four bulkhead tops and some instructions. The bulkhead tops are not pre-drilled, and you need to supply your own top skin (cut from sheet) and canopy. I have a Todd canopy. You will also need to either make a canopy frame, or modify the Vans one. I shall be modifying the Vans one. There is likely to be a significant amount of work, and cutting the top skin from a big sheet of 8'x4' scares the crap out of me! Keep an eye on my kitlog website and in a few months I'll probably be starting it. I didn't care for the tip over Showplanes version, prefer the slider. Whether this was/is a good choice, I don't know yet. I have all the stock Vans parts in case things don't work out!
Cheers,
Jeff Preou
Hamilton, New Zealand
RV-8 Fastback slow build.
Tom Clark fastback, Classic Aero seats, Grove Airfoil Gear

ZK-JRV reserved
http://www.preou.com
http://www.kitlog.com/users/index.php?user=jpreou

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Welcome to RivetBangers Scott !
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Hard Knox
Class G

Clark FB Kit with rear deck skin For Sale

Post by Hard Knox »

Decided to build a HRII instead.
Thanks,

Robby "Hard" Knox
RV-8 N184RK Completed
RV-8 Fastback N82XS tail completed. Building wings.
Planning RV-10 N102XS. Building tail.
Ercoupe 415-C/D N93515 Wings recovered. Hanging Engine.
Rincon, GA

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Out of curiosity, why?
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl