FUSELAGE KIT

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
wjbruner
Class G

FUSELAGE KIT

Post by wjbruner »

I'm nearing completion of the empenage. Instead of waiting on funds to accumulate for a QB kit, I might as well be building while I wait, and save money to boot. Anyone able to give me a rough estimate number of hours for the time to complete the standard build fuselage kit?

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I don't have an 8, but my standard build 7 fuse took about 485 hours. Of course, it all depends on what is counted as build time, but this is fairly consistent with what others are getting. 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

cjensen wrote:... my standard build 7 fuse took about 485 hours...)

Oyyy, That hurts just thinking about it.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Post by Lorin Dueck »

Just wondering - why aren't you looking at building the wings next?
That's what most people do... and you get the matching center spar section in the long wing kit crate.

Lorin D.
9A, Tip Up, O-320 (Lyco)
N194LD Reserved
Wings 95% done
SB Fuse Kit in crating at Van's

wjbruner
Class G

Post by wjbruner »

It's basically a money vs. time issue. I can probalby opt for one QB kit, either the wings or fuselage. Since the QB wings go together quickly, building the fuelage will allow time for the funds to accumulate. Also, the fuselage may be more interesting to build, as opposed to the wings, which would tend to be more repetitious. However, this is why I posted. I'm open to ideas or suggestions that I may have not considered.

TomC
Class E

Another data point

Post by TomC »

Here are the hours that I had on my 7A slo-build.

empennage 181
wings 469
fuselage 511
finish 800 (is it ever really finished???)
total 1,961

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Another data point

Post by Spike »

Make sure you get that worked out with Van's. Thing fuse center section is match drilled to the spars (both part of the wing kit) which would probably mean that you have to have the spars and fuse kit paired up at the time of purchasing the fuse. That might not help out monetarily. I guess it would mean you would have to buy the spars and ask them to sit on them while you work on the fuse, or buy both kits at the same time.

Id give them a call about it.

TomC wrote:Here are the hours that I had on my 7A slo-build.

empennage 181
wings 469
fuselage 511
total 1,961

Hmm, I knew the finish kit took lots of time but yipes. Something tells me that my goal for first flight might be unrealistic. *sigh*

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

My 800 hours includes everything after the fuselage, such as wiring, fiberglass work, painting, etc. I hung the engine at the 242 hour mark of the 800. There are, however, many seemingly trivial tasks that take an unexpected amount of time. For example, I spent 49 hours on engine baffles. That being said, its all MORE than worth it in the end.

Good Luck!

Speed3Guy
Class E

Post by Speed3Guy »

Not any more. The -1 (matched hole) RV-8 Fuselage released at Oshkosh 2006 comes with the center section now. I've got the center section that came with my wings sitting out in my shed.

To answer the original question, I put about 500 hours in my fuse.

Guy

Spike wrote:Make sure you get that worked out with Van's. Thing fuse center section is match drilled to the spars (both part of the wing kit) which would probably mean that you have to have the spars and fuse kit paired up at the time of purchasing the fuse. That might not help out monetarily. I guess it would mean you would have to buy the spars and ask them to sit on them while you work on the fuse, or buy both kits at the same time.

Id give them a call about it.

TomC wrote:Here are the hours that I had on my 7A slo-build.

empennage 181
wings 469
fuselage 511
total 1,961

Hmm, I knew the finish kit took lots of time but yipes. Something tells me that my goal for first flight might be unrealistic. *sigh*
Guy Prevost
Albuquerque, NM
RV-8a Flying!
http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Hey, thanx for bringing me up to speed on that. The 9's are still done the old way. Does that mean that Vans has removed the "matched hole" aspect of the spar to center section assembly?

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

Spike wrote:
I MISSED BY MORE THAN A YEAR :o :o OR TWO :oops:

NOW IF I HADNT HAVE GOTTEN SICK I WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN TWO YEARS BUT ALSO PROBALLY DIVORCED . :roll:
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I effectively have 2 years to build 1 wing, then the fuse and finish kit. I even have a count down clock in my workshop. If memory serves me correct its approximately 721 days until epoch....

:eek: