fuel lines..thru RV8 gear towers

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
stanman
Class G
Location: 2123 Liberty...1 Lennie Av. Main Beach..Southport. 4217. Queensland.. australia

fuel lines..thru RV8 gear towers

Post by stanman »

re fuel line installation thru gear towers...can anyone advise me how to get both... the main supply line from selector valve...and the return line from the fuel pump ....with the flares and fittings completed...thru the approx 1 inch dia holes in the gear towers..or should I go with flexible hose...or enlarge holes??.....or am i missing the point somewhere??...many tks ..stan
stanman...rv8...fuselage

Wicked Stick
Class B

fuel lines through gear box

Post by Wicked Stick »

Hi Stan,

I took it upon myself to add an additional hole for the return line.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

stanman
Class G
Location: 2123 Liberty...1 Lennie Av. Main Beach..Southport. 4217. Queensland.. australia

re fuel lines

Post by stanman »

once again,Mr. Stick...tks for your prompt reply.....would the fittings on flexible hoses go better?.....i.ve had about four attempts at this..over the last month or two...and used 20 miles of alum tube..... :? :bang: :? rgds...stan
stanman...rv8...fuselage

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I decided to try aluminum tubing before going the flexible route for fuel lines. I managed to get everyone of them made without too much fuss.

Yeah, I did ruin a few trys, but here's a trick I figured out that helped me.

I found it very helpful to take the 1/2 way approach for each side.
What I mean by this is, I make a template piece flaring it, and bending it to fit 1/2 way to the other side. Then I make up another template piece that starts from the other connection, flared and bent to meet up with the first 1/2 template. Then I take both pieces and use them to make a one piece final version now that I have the bends and angles right from the templates halves.

It's worked pretty good for me, and I even did this for the line that goes to the right tank, which took me 2 tries. Aluminum tubing is fairly cheap, so keep trying a few more times before going the flexible route.
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

Wicked Stick wrote: Yeah, I did ruin a few trys, but here's a trick I figured out that helped me.

I found it very helpful to take the 1/2 way approach for each side.
What I mean by this is, I make a template piece flaring it, and bending it to fit 1/2 way to the other side. Then I make up another template piece that starts from the other connection, flared and bent to meet up with the first 1/2 template. Then I take both pieces and use them to make a one piece final version now that I have the bends and angles right from the templates halves.
Why not just put fittings on both halves and connect them together with a union fitting?

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

[/quote]Why not just put fittings on both halves and connect them together with a union fitting?[/quote]

You could do that, but then you are introducing more joints and places where fuel could leak out inside the cabin/cockpit. If you can fabricate each half you should be able to make one piece from that and feed it through and connect it up. If not, go with the flexible fuel lines. Just be aware that you will most like need to replace them over time vrs the aluminum ones.
Dave "WS" Rogers
N173DR

stanman
Class G

re fuel lines

Post by stanman »

re your advice WS....i.ve finally got them done...all a bit tight tho....still mulling over the flexible option?..now for the canopy preparation!...tks in advance for the great photos on your..and other sites... re this phase!...rgds stan
stanman...rv8...fuselage