canopy holes...skirts...RV8

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
stanman
Class G
Location: 2123 Liberty...1 Lennie Av. Main Beach..Southport. 4217. Queensland.. australia

canopy holes...skirts...RV8

Post by stanman »

g.day all...i.m currently working on canopy....have trimmed it ....made the big cut...drilled it to slider etc...so far so good.....re windscreen ..i.ve drilled it for the countersink screws....what size should the holes be opened up to ..to prevent the screws binding...it looks a bit tight...anybody recommend a good technique...i.m reluctant to open them up with a larger drill.....also i.m trying to figure out how the fibreglass side skirt butt up to 821 skin on the sides...some seem to have the forward edge of the skirts in line with forward edge of the canopy on the slider...which seems that the 821 skin should be cut back a little...any pictures and advice welcome...rgds stan
stanman...rv8...fuselage

Mike Balzer
Class E

Post by Mike Balzer »

If you have to open up holes in the canopy I recommend using a uni bit. They make them in various sizes and step increments. I believe the holes in the canopy need to be larger than the srew size for expansion and contraction from hot and cold temperatures. I have not done my canopy yet but have installed windows in various aircraft and have worked alot with plexi glass and lexan.

Mike Balzer
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB