Z Bracket question

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

wow--that is neat. Keep it simple stupid :)
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Spike wrote:Now that is a great idea! I guess you just have to make sure that the lower most washer touches a decent amount of the rivet's face.

Spike
I believe it's the aluminum "shim" there in the pic that is providing the backup against pop rivet.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I agree, I guess I was just thinking out loud for any new builders / lurkers.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Mike Balzer
Class E

Post by Mike Balzer »

Great Idea,
after building my left flap and using a 1097 oops rivet for the rib that attaches the nut plate, I found that using an AN470 3-4 worked out just fine with no problems, You just want to rivet that one first so that you clear the doubler.

Mike Balzer
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

Wicked Stick wrote:
Spike wrote:Now that is a great idea! I guess you just have to make sure that the lower most washer touches a decent amount of the rivet's face.

Spike
I believe it's the aluminum "shim" there in the pic that is providing the backup against pop rivet.
You are both absolutely right.

On the left is my first try with just the washers...yuk...very ugly and was summarily drilled out and replaced. The right rivet was with the use of the aluminum spacer. The final product looks indistinguishable from other pulled rivets set without the washer get-up.

I also tried a spacer made out of hard wood prior to this. It split.

I am sure someone with a small milling machine or lathe will make a perfect bushing of some type that will put my washer rig to shame... but for me it was field-expedient, cheap, effective...right up my alley.

Someone once told me that "if it is a dumb idea...and it works...it is not a dumb idea."

Feel free to use my "dumb idea."

CD
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

johnk
Class E

Post by johnk »

Wicked Stick wrote:... Be prepared to grind down a cheap pop rivet gun so you can pull the rivets ...
I've cut down and ground down my cheap pop rivet tool so much that I'm amazed it's still able to hold itself together in one piece. Building this plane has given me new skills in making and reshaping tools of all sorts.

John

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I am right there with you John. After I ground down my cheapo rivet puller I was amazed that it actually still worked!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl