starter solenoid

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
stanman
Class G
Location: 2123 Liberty...1 Lennie Av. Main Beach..Southport. 4217. Queensland.. australia

starter solenoid

Post by stanman »

g.day all...can anybody advise whether starter solenoid can be mounted ..upside down??..on vans r.v8 firewall plans... it shows normal mounting on a forward battery box...ie mounting holes horizontal...and on other plans ..ie for rear mounted batteries...mounting holes vertical...I.m getting some interference with engine mounts for the recommended mounting position...many tks ..stan...RV8...hanging engine....inst. panel/avionics /wiring etc..
stanman...rv8...fuselage

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the solenoid cares it's orientation. There's nothing inside that I know of that needs to be "this side up"...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I believe that you are correct. A big spring, contact, and electromagnet is really all that I *think* is in there.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

flytoboat
Class E

Post by flytoboat »

Since the solenoid is controlled by a spring, there may be an issue with aerobatics and G forces overcoming the spring tension. I.E., if the G force overcomes the spring tension and closes the starter contact (becasue it's oriented wrong) with engine running, bad things can happen. I can't seem to find the reference now. Anyone else comment on this?
Don
RV6A purchased flying