It's done!

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
tshort
Class C

It's done!

Post by tshort »

Just faxed the order for my empennage kit to Van's!
Now I have to get the workshop finished.
Still trying to decide between the -8 and the -8A...

Thomas

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Im not much more ahead of you but you will find this to be quite rewarding/exciting/frustrating/satisfying and all at the same time!!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Straight 8... all the way!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Yeah, straight 8 is what I really want, it looks so much better, I just like the plane better.
However I have zero taildragger time, am low time (~200hrs TT) and already timid in x-winds in my skyhawk, and am sure insurance will be killer for the first few years (esp with 200hp and constant speed prop).
Decisions...

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I hear that alot.

I have about 35 hours taildragger time. Most insurance companies... from what I hear anyways, are looking for only about 50 hours experience for a reasonable premium. I expect to have at least that when the plane is done. Probably much more.

Start logging it now, as you build.

It will teach you MUCH! Especially how to tame those nasty crosswinds! You will also learn what those footrests are for!

Go for it! This IS your DREAM... isn't it?

:) CJ
RV-7

darrylDog2000
Class G

Post by darrylDog2000 »

I'm building an 8 also and just recently decided on the tail dragger. I've gone back and forth on this for a while, for various reasons. The reason for my decision: "Nose wheel Collapse". I've read about several occurrences of this and I don't like the sound of it.
I've got lots of time in the Cub and Citabria, but I think this is going to be quite different.

Here are some reasons for going either way:
Tricycle –
• You sit up high, have great visibility and don’t have to S-turn while taxiing.
• It’s much more stable during take off and landing.

Tail Dragger –
• Simpler construction
• You can get into less improved airports.
• A little less drag on the airplane.
• No nose wheel to collapse.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Great anaysis!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Yeah, I am still deciding ... I go back and forth on a daily basis.

Still haven't been able to get together with Stu for some stick time in the c-140.

Today I'm leaning toward the -8!

Thomas

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

darrylDog2000 wrote:I'm building an 8 also and just recently decided on the tail dragger. I've gone back and forth on this for a while, for various reasons. The reason for my decision: "Nose wheel Collapse". I've read about several occurrences of this and I don't like the sound of it.
I've got lots of time in the Cub and Citabria, but I think this is going to be quite different.

Tricycle –
• You sit up high, have great visibility and don’t have to S-turn while taxiing.

Tail Dragger –
• Simpler construction
Here is another for the tri-cycle column: lands shorter. Why? Because you can flare the nose higher before touchdown. Slows down more before touchdown, which causes it to slow down quicker on the rollout.

Here is another for the Taildragger column- lands easier than a Citrabria ever thought about! These things go pretty much straight where you point them (relative to other taildraggers.) I have about 800 hours in my old Champ and my -4 is much easier to land. The 8 is only marginally more difficult because it is generally more nose-heavy than the 4. But you just adjust. The RV-4 lends itself more to 3-point landings and the RV-8 lends itself more to wheel landings.

You'll love it.

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

Uh Oh, here it goes again! :mrgreen:

Just building the empennage you don't really have to decide anyway. But if you never bought parts you're nowhere at all. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

TShort wrote:Yeah, straight 8 is what I really want, it looks so much better, I just like the plane better.
I went through this decision process before, but it only last about 2 hours. The way I look at it, if the straight 8 is what you really want, build it. I told myself that if I was going to spend all this time and money, I was going to have the plane I wanted. I didn't want to be at the airport watching someone with a -8 thinking darn I could of had one of those. If you are worried about being able to handle it, get some tailwheel training to see what they are like. The only tailwheel time I have is in a Pitts S2A. I admit the landings were challenging, but it sure was fun doing them. Note: a Pitts is probably not the best plane to learn how to fly a tailwheel. Which one is the best to learn in is probably a good topic for discusion. Good luck with your build and your decision. I say go for the -8.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd just add my IT'S DONE II. Yesterday I ordered the empennage kit, so I guess I'm officially part of Van's family!
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Congrats, and WELCOME!

:yay: CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

WoooHooo, have fun and hold on to yer wallet :evil:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

darrylDog2000 wrote:I'm building an 8 also and just recently decided on the tail dragger. I've gone back and forth on this for a while, for various reasons. The reason for my decision: "Nose wheel Collapse". I've read about several occurrences of this and I don't like the sound of it.

Tricycle –

Tail Dragger –
• Simpler construction
Actually, the 8A is a little easier to build because you don't have to build the gear towers, and the main gear alignment is easier too because I hear the shafts are now pre-drilled on the gear and weldment.

The 8 has decent over the nose visibility for the pilot up front.

I think if you kept the nose wheel off the grass as long as possible during landing, and keep full elevator during taxi and take-off to keep it light, you'd probably do ok on grass strips with an 8A. I have a Grumman AA-1B that I fly into a few grass strips all the time, and it's a very similiar tricycle gear aircraft.. Very similiar to an RV-6A but not as fast.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

I doubt there is anybody on this web planning to land anywhere that nose/tail wheel makes a difference. Most folks would be amazed where you can safely land with tri gear. I've landed and taken off in a C172 next to a bunch of Supercubs on a riverbank, and watched the Troopers in a C206 on the same strip. I doubt you'll see a tail wheel RV anywhere the tri gear can't go. RV's are not bush planes. A good soft field technique will get you into places that the average pilot wouldn't try anyway. I don't see RV's landing on ridges and sandbars, which is a gamble in any airplane that even Supercubs occassionally loose. Generally nobody gets hurt, but having your airplane choppered home for major repairs isn't for me. If you really want to land where the nose draggers can't, build a Storch............Larry
Larry & Debbie Lewis
N128LD - Reserved

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Larry, I love reading your posts about flying in AK. I was stationed in Fairbanks in 1985. At the time, I was a young FL boy thinking nothing other than getting the heck out there to somewhere warm. Oh what I would give to go back now. Especially being sea plane rated now. Oh it is nice to dream.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

Hi Bill,

I'm going to get my float rating this spring. I love it here but getting tired of the ice. Great place to fly when its above 0........Larry
Larry & Debbie Lewis
N128LD - Reserved

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Larry, I just noticed in your signature that the empennage kit is ordered. Now the fun begins.
:thumbsup:
I have to say the seaplane rating was one of the funnest ratings I have gotten. I did mine in FL and it was so cool putting it in on the St. Johns River. Are you going to do yours in AK? Now that would be a definite splash.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

Yep I started years ago in a Lake Buccaneer, but they sold the plane before I took the ride. I'm going to do it at Lake Hood in Anchorage in a C172, probably a couple hours in the C206 also. Training in the Beaver is toooo expensive. Hopefully the Emp will ship this week. I wanted a stand for my grinder so went to Lowes and bought sheets of .025 galvanized steel. Folded it into 4 foot high stand with metal shelves. Its all flanged, dimpled and rivited together, used all the techniques and a couple hundred rivits. I bucked and let my wife drive the rivit gun, she had a pretty good time. Figured I'd practice on something I could use......
Larry & Debbie Lewis
N128LD - Reserved