lightening holes

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
tshort
Class C

lightening holes

Post by tshort »

I know that the -8 may be a little nose heavy with a 200hp engine out front ... has anyone drilled out the optional lightening holes in the VS rear spar doubler (VS808-pp, I think, plans not in front of me...)
I realize this is a small amount of weight, but way out back of the CG ... didn't know if I should just leave it there since I'm anticipating a 200hp engine.
Thomas

Reheat
Class G

Post by Reheat »

Thomas, I didn't put in the lightening holes, since Van's gave us the option. Where you put that battery will make a lot more difference. I'm gonna be so light up front that I may need to put mine in the spinner! Anybody know of a bullet shaped battery with swivel connectors???
8QB -fus

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

What engine / prop are you using?

I only weigh about 145#, so I'll probably need as much weight in the back as possible regardless which engine I use.
I think I'll leave the extra aluminum in place...

Thomas

mustang
Class E

!

Post by mustang »

I drilled mine out and there was a bit of weight saved. Not that much, but any weight off the extremeties is good. Just put me in the backseat and you'll be good to go.

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

FWIW, mine isn't an 8... and I understand the different Cee Gee's and all but...

I drilled mine out too. It is a good place to save weight on the -7's too, in my mind.

I got the scoop from Van's. The story is:

Once upon a time, a very savvy -4 builder did this "lightening hole thing" all over his plane. Everyone at Van's thought he was crazy and drilling unnecessary holes in his airplane. He would call from time to time asking if it was OK to drill this or that. The response that you have now come to know and love was offered, "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt... but you are the builder. Wee don't recommend it".

The plane one day flew as arguably the lightest -4 to leave the face of the earth. Some of these holes found their way into our kits today. The VS holes are one set of them.

...and this is the way airplanes are made!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Reheat
Class G

Post by Reheat »

Ya might also check the 24 yrs of the RVAitor... I think there is an article on someone weighing all the lightening holes on his project.

0-360 w/ 3 blade Catto, BTW
8QB -fus

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

The six did not have lightening holes in the vertical, but I put a 360 whith a CS prop on it. I placed my ELT just in front of the vertical attach point, I just remove the fairing and have access to it. I also placed the battery about 1.5 feet ahead of the spar in the cabin. W&B came out great.

I would suggest you lighten up the airframe to acheive the weight you are trying to shoot for. Place the equipment to manage your CG.

Dale
Golf Delta