Vertical Stab wire run?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
kennyw
Class G

Vertical Stab wire run?

Post by kennyw »

I want run conduit up the vertical stab in case I end up installing a VOR antenna there.

Should I run it forward of the FWD spar, opening up the existing tooling holes for that purpose?

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Hi Kenny,

When I was building I also thought about running conduit in the vertical stabilizer for mounting a camera in the tip. Thankfully the GoPro came out before I committed to anything! However, I did have some ideas for how I could accomplish it:

1) Running some thin-walled rigid tubing through the existing lightening holes and attaching it with a bracket and an adel clamp to the two end ribs.

2) Opening up the tooling holes at a later time and installing a grommet into the hole. I figured that with a unibit and a drill extension bit I could easily enlarge the holes after the vertical stabilizer was closed up. I could run some wire through the holes and use it to thread the grommets into place. A wood dowel could be used to snap the grommets in place.

3) Do it now using the existing tooling holes.

4) Have you considered the Archer wingtip VOR antenna? I have one in my RV-7 and it works extremely well. the nice thing about this setup is I don't have to worry about poking my eyes out on the VOR antenna! :o

Oh, and most importantly, welcome to RivetBangers!
:welcome:
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

kennyw
Class G

Post by kennyw »

Thanks! I probably will end up with the Archer nav antenna set up in the wing tips. But, I'd hate to close up the VS now, without the conduit, and then decide later on I should've put it in.

After looking at finished aircraft, its obvious that any wiring in the VS would more sensibly be placed forward of the fwd spar. But, being the worrier that I am, I wanted someone else's opinion. Heck, I just had to triple check that everything was lined up before match drilling the skin on to the VS skeleton. I'm now ready to deburr and prime everything.

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Kenny,

My advice would be to close things up as they are and worry about it later. The secret to finishing an RV is leaving as few things incomplete as possible. There is an amazing level of satisfaction obtained by fully finishing a piece of the airframe. Once you get towards the end of building the airplane, you will have so many skills and new ideas for solving problems it's scary! And you won't have any issues figuring out the best way to route a wire up the vertical stabilizer if needed.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

I put a conduit up the front of the fwd VS spar using the enlarged tooling holes.
I ended up not putting anything in there, but if needed, it is available.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

kennyw
Class G

Post by kennyw »

Thanks Bruce! A picture is worth a thousand words.

stevewiz
Class E

Post by stevewiz »

I put rubber grommets in ours with a nylon string thru them for future wire pulls. Not sure we would ever need them but we could if needed.
RV-7 N71SW reserved
Started on 10/8/2013
Working on Fuselage as of 5/10/15 95%done
started finish kit on 7/1/16
engine on order from Barett.Will be shown at their EAA booth and then delivered to us after show