Holes for Empennage Faring attachment

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
Jeff Moreau

Holes for Empennage Faring attachment

Post by Jeff Moreau »

I am getting ready to match drill my vertical stab skin to the skeleton.

Drawing 6 indicates that six holes in the skin and root rib should be left open for later installation of the empennage faring.

Should I drill and dimple these holes during the match drilling or will these get a different type of fastener during the faring installation?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Stan

holes

Post by Stan »

Leave them open - no work at all because you will enlarge them later to accept a screw.

Re: holes

Post by Guest »

Stan wrote:Leave them open - no work at all because you will enlarge them later to accept a screw.
Will they end up getting a nutplate behind them?

g_e_young
Class E

Post by g_e_young »

Pull out your preview plans and try to figure out what will be hapening down the road with those holes. But I believe if the plans say wait, then definitely wait.

g-

chaskuss
Class G

Post by chaskuss »

Leave them alone. Later you will back drill through them into the empennage fairing. Then you'll install nutplates at those locations. You can install the nutplates now if you know how to make a centering transfer punch.
HINT You take a machine screw of the appropriate size (#eight) and chuck it up in a lathe. You machine off the head, leaving a pointed tip. Before removing the screw from the lathe, you cut a notch off center with a hack saw blade. This slot will be used to insert and remove the transfer punch into and out of the nutplate, using a screwdriver.
With the transfer punch installed almost flush, simply place the fairing in place and press down above the nutplate. You now have a perfect punch point to locate the #19 hole in the fairing. This is how professionals get great results.
Charlie Kuss