VS hinge brackets

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
tshort
Class C

VS hinge brackets

Post by tshort »

Are the hinge brackets for the VS supposed to have their holes all in a line (it would make sense if they did) - I noticed after riveting the VS spar today and putting the hinges on that the top hinge sticks out farther and the holes don't align with the other two. If this is wrong, then I think it is a parts problem as I've pored over the plans and don't think I did anything wrong...
Anyone who's past this point have any input??

Thomas

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Tom,

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but I think the hinge support doublers are different sizes as the spar tapers considerably towards the tip. Are you sure that you have them in the proper order from top to bottom?? How about when you match drilled them? Was everything OK at that time?? I matched mine up to the punched holes, and match drilled them with many clecos, then labelled them before etching, alodining, & priming. I then matched them again when all was primered and everything fit perfectly. I had marked them with an electric pencil gizmo so that I knew which was top middle bottom and outside etc.

The answer is yes, the rod end bearings holes must all be in alignment for the rudder to be centered in the socket of the aft spar so as to allow equal travel of 30 to 35 degrees each way from centered. Be advised that the bottom VS rod-end bearing hinge point is larger than the others in the kit.

Hope this is of some help?

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Well...

They are laterally aligned; the top bracket projects aft probably 1/8" - 1/4" more than the other two. There is really no way to put them in the wrong order, as the holes are prepunched and they wouldn't fit. I also checked to make sure that I didn't inadvertently rivet on one of the brackets from the HS. I had them all labeled prior to priming, so I know they went back in the same place. Unfortunately I didn't look to see if the holes lined up before match drilling...

I guess this requires a call to Van's... :?

Thomas

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Figured it out ... (with builder's assistance)
We pored over this for a while; all the measurements / dimensions were correct for the brackets.
It turns out that there is a slight bow to the VS rear spar - likely in part due to the bow that was present in the doubler prior to riveting. This goes away when it is clecoed to the skin, and everything lines up fine. I had thought it was straight while holding it, but the bow is slight enough that it isn't noticeable.
I feel a lot better now that I don't have to drill those rivets!

Thomas