Extended Range Fuel Tanks for RV-8?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
guycole
Class G

Extended Range Fuel Tanks for RV-8?

Post by guycole »

Does anybody have an example of a RV-8 w/extended range tanks? I'm only looking for another hour of flight time during the rugged, frigid California winter.

I know this doesn't seem appropriate for the usual RV-8 mission, but I have my reasons (spelled IFR).

Thanks.

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

I happened to be watching the "From Ground Up" series the other night and noticed Joe Schumaker went with extended range tanks on the -8 they built on the show. It was the episode where he was getting the DAR inspection and was telling the DAR he installed the extra tanks. Not sure if a previous episode talked about the installation, but I know it has been done.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

guycole
Class G

What is "from the ground up" ??

Post by guycole »

Is this a TV show? I rarely have time for TV, but this sounds interesting. What network would that be?

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

It was a show on the Discovery Wings channel. Discovery Wings has been ruined (so I hear) and is now some kind of history type channel. And to think....sure enough.... this happened just as I was about to upgrade to digital cable TV so I could watch the show.

Here is a link to the EAA's videos for sale:

http://shop.eaa.org/html/04_videos_howto.html?cart_id=

And the info:

From the Ground Up
From the Ground up is TV's only show dedicated to the homebuilding and restoration of airplanes. The show that introduced America to the personal aircraft movement on the Discovery Wings Channel is now available on video!
Qty F13472 $21.99 Episodes 1-3: (Introductory overview; Tail Construction, Riveting; Wings)
Qty F13473 $21.99 Episodes 4-6: (Connecting wings to fuselage; Surface and flaps; Interior)
Qty F13474 $21.99 Episodes 7-9: (Electronics; Firewall Forward; Plumbing and Exhaust)
Qty F13475 $21.99 Episodes 10-13: F13475 (Canopy and Landing Gear; Paint Prep; Inspection; First Flight)
Qty F13476 $79.99 Complete set SAVE!
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

guycole
Class G

Thanks

Post by guycole »

That sounds like good stuff. I'll check that out.

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Yep, that's the series. I had taped it here and there, so I will have to go back and see if they mentioned adding the extended range tanks when they built the wings. I'm like you, not much time for TV.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

In 21,000 hours of flying, I have never once wished the aircraft I was flying had smaller fuel tanks. I have wished for bigger tanks.

I have been surfing the web looking for RV-8 auxiliary fuel tank solutions, but the ones I have found available are really more appropriate for retro-fitting to an existing aircraft. They add a fairly small amount of fuel for the thousands of dollars they cost and the additional weight they add to the aircraft.

A more obvious solution to me is an additional fuel cell in each wing, outboard of the existing fuel cell. Since the profile of the wing does not change span-wise, parts from a standard tank could be used to fabricate the new fuel cell, and the additional weight would be nearly trivial.

You would not have to put fuel in the aux tank if you didn't need it, the weight penalty (for empty tanks) would be a few pounds at most, so to my mind, the advantages much outweigh any disadvantages caused by extra construction cost and complexity.

My question is: why can't I find any data on someone doing this before? What am I missing?

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Pat,

I have a picture of a wing with two tanks as you described, so I know it has been done. Keep looking.
Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

guycole
Class G

Some Candidate Extended Range Tanks

Post by guycole »

Hello. Here is a update on my extended range tank search.

http://www.flymore.com.au has tip tanks for us, the web site says 12.5 US gallons per tank. This seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but the price w/shipping, currency exchange, etc. is $3.6K - which seems pricey but maybe I'll change my mind.

http://www.safeair1.com also has ER tanks, $1725 for 9 gallons (total, not per side). The web site has excellent pictures detailing the product.

If anybody has pictures or experience w/these or any other ER tanks, I would love to hear about it.
Guy Cole (KQ6J) - Expert Plain And Fancy Bit Twiddling.
Cherokee Owner, RV-8 Assembler.