Rudder stiffeners

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
tshort
Class C

Rudder stiffeners

Post by tshort »

Any tips for getting back in the trailing edge of the rudder to back rivet the stiffeners? I have driven all but one of the rivets, and am worried about creasing the skin for the last one. Some friends are coming to help buck rivets on the HS in the next day or so but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for doing these rivets solo...

Thomas

Post by Guest »

I screwed an "L" shaped hook part way into 2 2X4's that I clamped to the back of my work bench. Each 2X4 sticking up and about 2 and half feet apart. The hook is pointing down. Now all you have to do is slide the skin under each hook, then flatten the other half of the skin on your work bench to set the rivets. I set all of the rivets alone.
Lyle

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Some I did myself by bungee tying the skin back to the bench, others Wicked Stick held for me while I riveted.

Incedentally, I liked using my flat rivet set that I MADE for this procedure. I took a cupped set, flush ground the end polished it up. I thnk it fits into position better than any other set.

It worked for me!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

I riveted mine by myself. I managed to keep the side I was riveting flat on the rivet back plate with my left hand and held the gun in the right. I used my right elbow to hold the skin open and riveted away. Just make sure you keep it flat on the plate or you will be doing some drilling. I think the plans say you can use a blind rivet in those tight spots, but I myself want to keep them down to a bare minimum.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage