HS frame question

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
g_e_young
Class E

HS frame question

Post by g_e_young »

So I've got the front and rear spars put together, and now it's time to drill in all the ribs in the correct locations. I'm curious if I should drill them in the locations per the plans, or should I pull out the skins and place them on the spars to see -exactly-where the ribs should so so that the skin and ribs will match exactly along the edges.

Many thanks!

grant-

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

Am I correct to assume that these are pre-punched skins without the ribs being pre-punched? Jig or no jig?
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

bmurrish
Class D

HS frame question

Post by bmurrish »

The ribs are pre-punched as well. Grant, are you talking about drilling the flanges on the right and left center forward ribs?

g_e_young
Class E

Post by g_e_young »

Sorry about the lack of clarity. I'm talking about drilling the HS 404 and 405 ribs to the front and rear spar assemblies (and indirectly to eachother) per bullet point 2 under "Drilling the Horizontal Stabilizer" in the instructions. These particular flanges are not predrilled.

Many thanks, grant-

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I drilled these in assembly with the skins clecoed in place - this allows you to keep everything rigid and confirm that the placement is correct. I think that's how the manual says to do it.

You do drill the pilot holes as per the plans / measurements, but the final holes are drilled in assembly.

Thomas

g_e_young
Class E

Post by g_e_young »

Super...thanks a bunch. Now it makes total sense. I've now read the instructions about 20 times and I'm frankly not sure what Van's is trying to communicate, but I think the way you did it makes perfect sense.

Thanks so much!

grant

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

Grant.....Draw a line with a sharpie down the center of the rib flange that you can see through the holes in the skin. Its just a good check to make sure you are drilling in the center of the flange, depending on your fluting technique the rib may not be perfectly straight........Larry
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved