Trim Access Plate Thickness

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
bmurrish
Class D

Trim Access Plate Thickness

Post by bmurrish »

It seems that the access plate is too thick. I was thinking about making one out of a thinner piece so it will sit more flush. Am I being too precise or should I let this go?
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Let it go! Build the wings! Slingshot a squirrel!

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Bill,
Yes, the Captain is correct. The plate can already be bent just by slightly over tightening the machine srews that are countersunk into the plate. A lighter plate would be counterproductive.

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Since I don't have my wings or the fiberglass I ordered from Spruce to finish my tips, I made a cover from some of the extra aluminum I had. You are correct, it is too thin and just bends. Can you tell I am bored? Maybe I will make the wing jigs during the month and a half I have to wait until my wings are here. :bang:
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

chaskuss
Class G

Post by chaskuss »

I noticed the same thing. The elevator skin is .020" and the access plate is .032". Being the anal builder I am (it's the German in me) I also wanted flush, not pan head screws.
To get the cover to sit flush do the following. Be warned, folks may look at you strange. I could not find any aluminum made .012" thick. Aircraft aluminum (to my knowledge) only goes to .016". With calipers in hand, I started looking everywhere for the appropriate shim stock. I found it in the cooking section of my local Publix supermarket.
The ladies in the isle thought I was "odd" measuring the cookware! :-) I discovered that those disposable turkey cookers are made from very soft .010" thick aluminum. I suspect that an aluminum TV dinner tray may also work. Once I applied some primer, I had my .012" thick shim stock.
Use the shim stock to make a spacer on the E-615 (going from very vague memory here) doubler plate for the access cover, by tracing the shape of the doubler onto the shim stock. Cut to size & install between the inside of the elvator skin and the access cover doubler.
Next buy some MS21049-06 nutplates (K1100 for you Ludites like Van, who still use obsolete terminology) Dimple the rivet holes and you now have a set of triple dimpled #6 nutplates. Fit and install the nutplates, prime everything and rivet it together.
Stand back and admire your handy work. Prepare to look down your nose at future fly-ins at those mere mortals who have unsightly (and draggy) access covers! :-)
Hey, put down those torches and pitch forks! Honest guys, I was just kidding. Your access covers look great. Really, they do!
Needless to say, if it weren't for my RV-8A project, I'd need to get a life. :bang:
Charlie Kuss
RV-8A
Boca Raton, Florida