Where do I find?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Capt John,
The Prefix,"IO" means Injected, Opposed, so the IO-360 has fuel injection. Most O-360s, 180 hp, are carbureted, not injected. The injection adds weight, complexity, and price also. That is why a lot of RV guys choose the 180 hp carbureted version. The extra 20 HP adds about 6 to 8 mph on the top end.

Most of the demo pilots at Vans recommend the 180 hp version, believe it or not. I have experienced the 200 hp RV-7 during a demo ride and thought that the tail was wagging the dog when that big IO-360 fired up. We are opting for the 180 HP version ourselves.
Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well, yah... I know most of that from driving Cherokees. I guess what is puzzling me is the early Arrows were 180 HP IO-360 models. Then they pumped them up to 200 hosses. How do you get a 20 HP range out of the same engine? Should I look for the angled valves? Is that an A1A engine?

If you are going 180 hp, are you planning for fuel injection?

I am still undecieded.

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

John, sometimes its just the change of a prop in a fixed pitch scenario, for others its uppping the compression slightly. Ive heard that the biggest difference between the 160HP 172 and the 180HP 172SP that Cessna is producing is the prop. I believe that they both have IO-360's.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Maxu
Class G

Post by Maxu »

Hi Spike,

hmm, at least the C172 I did my licence in had an O-320 installed, not an O-360!
If we´re talking derating an engine, I haven´t heard of any O-360 engines being derated to 160hp or less, but I´ve seen a couple of (I)O-540 being derated to 250/235hp purely by limiting rpm´s.

Just my 2 cents,
Markus

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Hey Marcus, what year was that 172? I believe that this only applies to the 172 series that was brought back int production in the late 1990's. This wouldnt apply to the earlier models.

Maxu
Class G

Post by Maxu »

Hi Spike,

I don´t remember what year the 172 was exactly, but I know it was definately not 1990 or later! And it definately was not an IO-something (injected), but a plain old carburator version.
Seriously, there are more 172 versions flying than I have fingers on my hands and then I´m not counting RG and Rocket Versions at all.
But I still belive that the plain old bread-and-butter 172 flies an a stock O-320 producing 160hp on a fixed pitch prop.

Regards,
Markus

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

My 1974 172 does indeed have an O-320 with a fixed pitch prop.

However if you look here you will see that the new 160HP skyhawks do indeed have an IO-360 that is derated.

-- John

Maxu
Class G

Post by Maxu »

Hello Spike,

You´re right! That was new to me, but I´m not that much into Cessnas anyway! ;-)

Markus

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

According to my blue book the 172 went to the O-320-H2AD 160hp in 1977, and then to the 160hp IO-360-L2A in 1997.......Larry
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved

seed844
Class G

Recall

Post by seed844 »

Fly Blue, Look up a guy near Shelbyville, IN, John Marshall has had several RV8/540s to his resume. Damn good craftsman. wght+bal, gear/ eng mount, oil filter, battery placement, all addressed. 900+ mi trip to Sun n fun 540 vs 360 side by side. 6 cycl used less fuel.
When was it called back? :evil:

Mo gas for that 180

Post by Guest »

I heard that you can run Mo gas(car gas) in that 180hp were you can't in the 200Hp. Is that correct?

Lyle

-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

That is true. It has to do with preignition and detonation.

Personally, I wouldn't run MOGAS.

The alcohol is bad for seals, it vapor locks easier and I forget what happens to it at altitude... but it is on the bad list.

:P CJ
RV-7

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Capt. John,

Long time been gone from the forum with moving and all. I was reading through this thread and have some new info for you in regard to engine choices. We have been doing some hours of talking with Bart Lalonde of Aerosport Power. He lives here in Kamloops so it's easy.

We too were agonizing about choosing the 200 or 180 HP version and so we were discussing this with Bart. He said, "Well in the end it's all about horsepower and the 180 HP engines that we build here top out at about 195 on the dyno. The 200HP angle valve engines top out at about 195 on the dyno too, but they weigh more?!?!" End of story!

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hi Peter!

Good to see your voice again!

I totally agree. If I were building a -8, I would install a Para 180. I still may if I am counting my pennies and they come up short when it comes time to power up!

I am currently planning on the IO-390. I see it as the best of everything. Lower compression, Parallel valves, same weight as a 360 and more power than an angle 360.

Downside: It costs LOTS MORE!

Well, you only go this way once. May as well enjoy it!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

Hey guy's,

I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short, again. I was going to mention the difference in hp in a engine with the same cubic inches, or displacement will come from the ability to move more air efficiently. After all, all an engine is, is a device which moves air. Lyc changed the valve design to allow more efficient air movement when they went to the angle valve, i.e. 200 hp. The fuel injection allows for a more uniform and consistant mixture of fuel and air.

I went with a streight O-360 and put high compression pistons in. No auto gas for me, but I don't have some of the hot starting issues you generally have with injected engines. The main reason though, I didn't plan on flying upside down and it saved me some $$. I'm an airplane driver, remember, which means I'm broke...
Golf Delta

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Pete,

I have one of Bart's IO360 M1 engines in my 8 driving a WW 200RV prop. It's very smooth and fast! Also I am getting about 8.5 gph at 75 % power. You can't go wrong with Bart!

Dan N742DA 42.5 hrs and counting!

Post by Guest »

Well guys, you all made up my mind. The IO-360 180 HP is my choice. Here is why.
= They say there is just a few refineries that make Avgas. It is a special fuel that they would rather not deal with I've heard. So who knows, another hurricane, will Avgas be available? If so at what price?
= Thirty pounds lighter.
= As much power or about as much.
= Less fuel burn.
= Cheaper to buy.

Lyle
-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Great choice Lyle!

What vendors are you looking towards?

From what I can tell, they all are great. Everyone raves about their favorite. I haven't heard anything negative about any of them!

This is a good thing!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7

Post by Guest »

Captain John;

I haven't really looked into that as it is going to be some time before I have to make that decision. I do feel like you in that they are all good. The budget will have a lot to say about it.

Lyle
-8 Wings

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Dan,
Thanks for the info re: Barts engine. We aren't ready to order yet but perhaps by late Spring of next year. Living in Kamloops, our engine will be from Bart for sure. He has even said that he will provide all the firewall forward stuff for our "8".

How do you like the WW prop?? Are they still available? I heard something about the company being sold..... We have been thinking of the 3 bladed MT for added smoothness but we are still open to the best....
Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.