Where do I find?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Pete,
The WW prop is doing great. I had one blade loosen up a bit and I talked to Greg at WW. He sent me several shims of different thicknesses (at no cost) and I put one of them in today. Now the blade is tight again. The prop is very efficient and performs quite well. The company that owns Whirlwind is Titian Aircraft, the company that makes the shrunk down P51 mustang. They seem very willing to work with us and stand behind the product. They also make a three blade prop called the 151. I guess it is a good one also. I had mine dynamically balanced and it runs very smooth. Also the 200RV was designed for the RV series of aircraft. And I believe it less expensive than the MT props. I have about 48 hrs on it now and the prop looks as good as the day it arrived in the box. You can look them up at www.whirlwindaviation.com.

Do you ever see Colin Jordan? I sent him a note and a pic of my plane the other day and he hasn't replied yet. I guess he may be out of country or something.
Good luck on your project.
Dan

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Dan,
Thanks for the info on the WhirlWind prop. I guess you got the RV prop, correct?

I saw Colin this summer in Kelowna. I flew down in Hammy's RV-4 and had dinner with Colin and Barb after Colin scared the crap out of me in his AC Cobra on the way in from the airport. He showed me around his RV-8 for quite a while and it was nice to see his work.

I was just skim coating the sheet rock in the shop today and we are just about ready to resume construction after I get it painted.

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Pete,
Yes I have the 200RV. It is doing great. I am at about 51 hrs now and this weekend I progressed into the Phase II realm (aerobatics). I can not get over how solid this aircraft is in any manuver you put it in. The hammer head turns are easy and smooth. I am exploring the spin characteristics and you have to hold in the dive after stopping the rotataion just long enough to get the speed up to break the stall. then you pull it out smoothly and it will just be starting into the yellow when you are back level. Loops and rolls are solid and fun. I have yet to pull more than 3 1/2 g's. When I roll it the wings stop when you center the stick wherever you are in the roll.I will explore them more next time I go up.

How far along is Colin with the 8? Sounds like he likes to fly on the road! OR was that just for you!! :)

Take care and good luck with your project.
Dan