Marking hole locations on forward side of HS-405

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 8/8A
Cherokee Driver
Class E

Marking hole locations on forward side of HS-405

Post by Cherokee Driver »

Ok, Guys,

I could use a little help here.... and I don’t know that can explain my confused state well, so bear with me. :?

Referring to DWG3 SEC D-D I am told to "mark the hole locations on the forward side of the forward flange of HS-405..."

The top hole looks simple enough; I just measured from the top of the bent flange ¼ inch and that one is done. The other three holes however use reference locations on the other side of HS702 (front spar) with the angles (810 and 814) attached. I can’t see a way to transfer the vertical component of this location short of drilling through the HS 702 and that wouldn’t work because I have no horizontal reference to position that hole. In any event, that is not what the instructions tell me to do. It looks like everything gets matched drilled together later…I am only supposed to mark the positions of the holes at this point, then drill pilot holes.

I think I am looking at this too hard cause I just cant see how I am supposed to get the position transferred accurately from the front of one part to the front of another.

For those of you who have been here before, can you share with me the solution…perhaps with pix if possible?

Thanks in advance.
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Ok,

Now I really feel stupid. After I posted this I walked a way for a few minutes, went back and I think I figured a way to transfer the HS814/HS810 angle edge lines to the front of the HS 405. Very embarrassing. :oops:

Sorry to bother you.

Eric
RV-8A

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Not a problem Eric. We all do that! Keep asking questions as there are no dumb or stupid questions. We are here to help! :)
Dan

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

The fun has only begun.

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

Awwww heck the measuring and marking was easy. I didn't screw that one up until I cut it!! But, it was good practice for the new one I had to order from Van's......just part of the learning curve. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.....Larry
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Well, Larry...now that you mentioned it...I have done my share of that already too. I appreciate your kind support. By the way, I have a very good friend in Anchorage and I have had the good fortune of spending a few months in AK. I have also passed through Palmer. Hope to get back there some day...maybe in an RV!!! :)

Take care.

Eric
RV-8A

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

NO problem Eric,

If you (or anyone else) get up this way again give me a holler. I was going to build the wings this winter, but looks like a new hangar this spring won out. Just brushed a foot and half of snow (-19 degrees) off the plane. Time to bring them inside..............Larry
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved