Vertical Stabilizer Wiring

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
johnk
Class E

Vertical Stabilizer Wiring

Post by johnk »

The instructions for Finishing the Vertical Stabilizer say "... be sure to provide for the necessary wiring runs and access details before the rear spar assembly is riveted on."

We are required to have anti-collision lights and I had simply planned to use Van's "System 6" lights, which I think puts a tail light on the rear-facing flat spot on the bottom rudder fairing.

Nevertheless, I could imagine a light and/or an antenna on top of the tail. What do you other RVers do?

If I want something up there. then how exactly does one "...provide for the necessary wiring runs and access details..."? Do we drill holes in the ribs and install grommets? Where?

John K

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Some people are enlarging the tooling holes a bit then putting grommets in there in the event they want a nav antenna or camera on the tip of the VS.

Probably doesn't hurt to leave provisions for this, never know what you might want in the future. Leave a string thru the grommets (or whatever you put in there) to facilitate pulling wire thru later.

Thomas
-8 wings

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

John,
I used the Whelen three light strobe system and mounted the tail light / strobe in the lower rudder faring. The FAA requires identification lights which can be seen at a certain distance in front of and behind the aircraft. You can use either the two light system which incorporates the strobe and nav light in the wing tips or the three light system which use the three lights, 2 wing tip and 1 tail light. You do not need to put a light on top of the vertical stabilizer.

Dan