Inconsistency in plans for VS between 9 & 9A

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Inconsistency in plans for VS between 9 & 9A

Post by Spike »

Ive moved onto assembly of the VS of my plane and while I was reviewing my notes and the plans to get back up to speed on the VS I remembered an inconsistency that I found between the drawings & the manual. I thought I would mention it here for others and to see if there were other builders in agreement.

On the very top of page 6-3 the sentence "The coner holes in the lower VS410PP will be drilled for bolts later, in assembly with fuselage", the emphasis is mine.

I believe that to apply only to the 9, not the 9A. The reason I bring it up is that if you just read that and skpped on, you would be a bit hard pressed to fit those rivets (the 9A has rivets there, not bolts) "in assembly" later on.

Just some thoughts and a heads up.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Rupester
Class G

Post by Rupester »

You're right, Spike. I had to read that section about 6 times ...and refer to drawing 27A more than once... before I was sure. Drawing 27A (re: rear end of fuse) says the 9A bottom hinge support gets rivets on the same spacing as the top hinge support. It's there, but a little camoflaged in all the lines on the drawing.

Terry Ruprecht
9A empennage
Mahomet, IL

Rupester
Class G

9A - VS lower hinge support

Post by Rupester »

You're right, Spike. I had to read that section about 6 times ...and refer to drawing 27A more than once... before I was sure. Drawing 27A (re: rear end of fuse) says the 9A bottom hinge support gets rivets on the same spacing as the top hinge support. It's there, but a little camoflaged in all the lines on the drawing.

Terry Ruprecht
9A empennage
Mahomet, IL

Rupester
Class G

Post by Rupester »

Sorry 'bout that. It was a stuttering trigger finger, not terminal redundancy. :mrgreen:

johnk
Class E

Post by johnk »

Yes, I had the same question when working that. I read the instructions, looked at the drawings, looked at the parts, back to the instructions, etc, finally concluded what to do, but sent an email to Van's anyway with the question, here it is:

Instructions on bottom of page 6-2 / top of page 6-3 say:
"The VS-410PP hinge brackets have two holes missing from the pattern. Use the holes in the spar channel and spar doubler as drill guides and
back-drill the entire six-hole pattern through the upper VS-410PP only. The corner holes in the lower VS-410PP will be drilled for bolts later, in assembly with the fuselage (see DWG 27/27A)."

Question:
I am building the Tri-Gear. The last sentence quoted above seems
to apply to the tail-dragger(?). For the tri-gear, It seems that I should drill, dimple, & rivet now, the two corner holes in the locations indicated in VIEW A-A on DWG 27A (i.e., 1/4 inch from edges of VS-410PP lower hinge bracket). Correct?

Their answer:
"Correct"