Inventory done, warped parts ...

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Inventory done, warped parts ...

Post by Spike »

Hey guys. I finished my inventory tonight (sheesh there are allot of little brown bags :bang: ). Everything is accounted for except I have to parts (E-904) that are badly warped. I suspect is from being shoved together and then forced into their sub assemply pack. Do you think they are servicable or should I call Van's on Monday ?

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

arffguy
Class E

Warped parts

Post by arffguy »

Gee, if those were parts from my (older than dirt) RV-6 kits I would say they look just fine. Usually you would just grab 'em and try to twist them somewhat straight then get out your sharpie, mark the rivet lines and start fluting. I am guessing these are the elevator tip ribs. ???? However if you flute them then you might blow your rivet alignments. Please read the manual and when you find the answer let us know. Thanks. By the way, almost all my wing ribs looked like that out of the box. :bang:

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Geez, I must be tired. The grammar in my original post stinks. Sorry about that guys. Anyway, if I try to twist them any amount they "pop" into a warped state in the other direction. They are the elevator end ribs. Ive noticed that all of the other ribs come pre-fluted and lie flat. As you noted, I'm wondering if I try to twist or flute them I might mess up the alignment of the holes against the skins.

-- John

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

spike wrote:Ive noticed that all of the other ribs come pre-fluted and lie flat.
OK, now you're just making me sick :cry:

Mikey-RV6 wings :)

nightflyer
Class E

Post by nightflyer »

Spike, DO NOT be alarmed. The amount of twist/warp you're seeing is perfectly normal. It's a consequence of forming flat sheets into ribs, etc. (you should see my wing ribs :o ). You'll become intimately familiar with your fluting pliers very soon. One word of caution: a little goes a long way when it comes to fluting. You'll be surprised how much the part moves when you flute a flange. It's tedious, but it will get your parts nice and flat. It's just one of the new skills you have tolearn when building a sheet metal airplane :thumbsup: ! One more thing: make sure you have a nice flat surface to lay your parts on so you can check your progress and know when they're warp-free (sounds like a malfunction aboard the starship Enterprise).
Ben
RV-9A #90217
Empennage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I just noticed something while surfing Airwolf's site. The -9 has a fatter end rib on the HS than the -7. This is news to me!

I thought they all thad the HS-X06 end rib! These look like the same ones used on the root!

I wonder why? How would that affect handling or flight characteristics?

Anyone?

:headscratch: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

RV6junkie
Class G

Re: Warped parts

Post by RV6junkie »

arffguy wrote:Gee, if those were parts from my (older than dirt) RV-6 kits I would say they look just fine.
Indeed.
Gary
RV-6
Started 1989
Completed/Flown 1995

AirWolf
Class G

Post by AirWolf »

Captain_John wrote:I just noticed something while surfing Airwolf's site. The -9 has a fatter end rib on the HS than the -7. This is news to me!

I thought they all thad the HS-X06 end rib! These look like the same ones used on the root!

I wonder why? How would that affect handling or flight characteristics?

Anyone?

:headscratch: CJ
Ahh, the shop in the old days...sigh.

Spike, don't worry about the warping...mine looked like that as well, and fluting took care of it!

Cap'n, do you think that you could post a picture of your end rib on your RV-7? I'll double check when I get home, but I'm 99% sure that the end ribs are the same PN as the other ribs in the HS.
Ron
RV-9A
N379RV - Registered!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yup, Here they are all lined up. The HS-606 end ribs are closest and to the left.

And here it is all jigged up:

:roll: CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

John if you notice one of the biggest differences is that the HS on the 9 is a constant chord airfoil. The other RV's, such as your 7, make use of a swept trailing edge. The chord of your HS gets smaller going outboard accordingly.

-- John

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yah! I noticed that with Airwolf's photo. I didn't know that before.

What are the handling differences?

I am guessing the -9 will have a more noticeable stall break whereas the -7 will tend to remain aloft as the elevator is the SECOND airfoil to break in a stall?

Commentary?

:?: CJ
RV-7

AirWolf
Class G

Post by AirWolf »

spike wrote:John if you notice one of the biggest differences is that the HS on the 9 is a constant chord airfoil. The other RV's, such as your 7, make use of a swept trailing edge. The chord of your HS gets smaller going outboard accordingly.

-- John
Wow, learn something new every day! You know, I've looked at the pictures on Van's site a million times, and never noticed the sweep in the other RV's.
Man, I'm really dissapointed in myself now, knowing that I got my 'edumacation' in Aerospace Engineering, and I can't/didn't notice a swept HS.
Ron
RV-9A
N379RV - Registered!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Soooooo, edumacate me now... What's the diffamarence?

:lol: CJ
RV-7

Jim Martin

Captian John's assy

Post by Jim Martin »

I have not received my empennage or the blds.manual but are all the parts primered before assy.Thanks. looks like a big hammer and a 2X6 will straighten any bent parts.No?

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Captian John's assy

Post by Spike »

Jim Martin wrote:I have not received my empennage or the blds.manual but are all the parts primered before assy.Thanks. looks like a big hammer and a 2X6 will straighten any bent parts.No?
Actually looking at the parts further I think just cleco'ing them in would fix them up. Ill let you know what transpires.

-- John

captain_john
Sparky

Re: Captian John's assy

Post by captain_john »

Jim Martin wrote:I have not received my empennage or the blds.manual but are all the parts primered before assy.Thanks. looks like a big hammer and a 2X6 will straighten any bent parts.No?
Jim, Yes and no.

Yes, I primered everything in DuPont Vari-Prime. I plan on keeping that process the entire way through the project. Everything gets a coat of primer. Maybe not DuPont, perhaps Nason... their "other" line of products looks appealing. Likely to be a similar product. They also have a self etching sealing primer I may try.

...and NO to the big hammer thing! My wife says that when I anger her, she will take a hammer out and start banging aluminum in a random fashion! That whole idea sends CHILLS up my spine! Don't even mention a hammer!

RV-7

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Oh you married guys make me chuckle. :rofl:

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

You LAUGH! I am locking the garage!

:cry: CJ

...just kidding
RV-7

AirWolf
Class G

Post by AirWolf »

Captain_John wrote:Soooooo, edumacate me now... What's the diffamarence?

I knew I'd get called out sooner or later. All of my aero and aircraft design classes have been a while, but I'll try to thumb through my book and see if I can't get a good answer for you!

Luckily, my wife realizes the monetary value of the plane, so she would never intentionally hurt it....besides, if I make her too mad, then she gets half of the plane anyways...
Ron
RV-9A
N379RV - Registered!