Opened the canopy for the first time!

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
AirWolf
Class G

Opened the canopy for the first time!

Post by AirWolf »

Well, last night was a monumantal night, or at least as RV building nights go. I drilled the canopy to the frame, and with it clecoe'd together, I was able to open the canopy for the first time!

Besides the canopy being stinkin heavy, everything works great! The only problem area was around the roll bar, where I had the wood spacers attached. After I removed them, everything worked great!

Now I've just got to fot the rear window!
Ron
RV-9A
N379RV - Registered!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool!

Looks great! Tell me...

(here we go, tip up vs. canopy)

Why did YOU choose tip up?

I am going for slider because of the ability to taxi with the slider cracked. That is just really cool, in my mind.

I also don't like the naked-ness of the tip up. I drive my JEEP without top, doors or windshield, but want my plane to have a different feel.

:roll: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

nightflyer
Class E

Post by nightflyer »

Hey Ron, that looks really good! Must feel great to achieve a milestone like that. It's still a couple years away for me, I guess. My second-hand kit was originally ordered as a slider, but I'm strongly leaning towards converting to tip-up. Van's will sell the tip-up-specific fuselage parts as a package for about $300. Decisions, decisions...

Congratulations Ron! :good job:
Ben
RV-9A #90217
Empennage

AirWolf
Class G

Post by AirWolf »

Thanks guys!

Ohh, the tip-up vs slider debate. Well, I decided to go with tip-up for a few reasons. First, I like the unobstructed view that the tip-up provides, second, I like the accesibility to the instrument panel that you get in a tip-up. (If anything on my plane will ever change, it will 75% probability be the instrument panel, so I wante the ability to easily (or more so) change the panel.). Lastly, I chose the tip-up beacuse of the installation. I have heard that the slider is 'more' difficult than the tip-up to perfect.
Another factor is my geographic location. Being in oregon, I didn't feel that it was entirely necessary to have the slider for taxiing purposes. If I have the need to keep it cracked open, I'm sure that I can come up with an intermediary latch to give a few inches of ventalation.

I can't wait to get the struts on so that it is easy to open and close!
Ron
RV-9A
N379RV - Registered!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Congrats!!! I'm also going with the tip up. Visbility Visibility Visibility. I also dont forsee a problem rigging something up so that you can taxi with it slightly tipped. I have helped a friend with his 8 slider and that definately reinforced my decision. Good job buddy, looks nice :thumbsup:

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

AirWolf
Class G

Post by AirWolf »

After messing around with the RV-7 Tip-up, I noticed that the shocks do not start bringing up the canopy until the canopy is almost a foot into its rotation. From that it looks like you can just use the latch on the top of the canopy resting on the roll bar, and that will give you some ventalation.
Ron
RV-9A
N379RV - Registered!