Duckworks in a QB wing

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
JOHN TIPTON
Class E

Duckworks in a QB wing

Post by JOHN TIPTON »

Hi Guys

A friend who's building a -9a QB and is fitting a Duckworks landing light, and as you know the lens mount is located with four (2 on each rib) platenuts, it was easy to mount mine on a slow build wing as you could get to the ribs to POP rivet, but he is having a problem reaching in the confined space to rivet, can you offer me any tips to help him

John

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

The wings on my RV-6A were quickbuild and I was able to cut out the lens opening in the outer bay on each wing. I had the wing tips off and as I recall the duck works light came with some pob rivets to pop-rivet the nutplates to the appropriate ribs to mount the duck work light brackets. It was not a big deal but it was about nine years ago that I worked on that part. It was not a big problem. I just reviewed my builder's log pitures. You make up some brackets that fit between the ribs and I primed them and then did the the required riveting out on the work bench. I put the plate nuts as called for on the ribs and so you could adjust each bracket as per plans.

JOHN TIPTON
Class E

Duckworks in a QB wing

Post by JOHN TIPTON »

Bob said: I put the plate nuts as called for on the ribs - it's these plate nuts my friend is having a problem with reaching, the outside rib is no problem (from what I can remember, I'm away from my build at the moment) but the inside rib must be - I'll know more when I meet up on Thursday, but anymore ideas from QBers would be appreciated

bugsy63
Class G

Duckworks on QB wing

Post by bugsy63 »

John,
I'm about the drive the very same rivets on a QB 9A wing. I've looked at it a number of times and unless there is a significant difference in the main spar, or you're putting the landing light between ribs 2 and 3 rather that 1 and 2, as recommended in the installation istructions, I suggest the rivet gun is held through the spar through lightning hole 1 or 2 and the bucking bar through lightning hole 3. You could also hold the rivet gun throught the light penetration.

If the lights have been installed contrary to the instructions you're going to have to have some very long arms and a very compact pop rivet gun.

JOHN TIPTON
Class E

Duckworks in a QB wing

Post by JOHN TIPTON »

Hi Guys

It seems that my friend has now sorted his problem, I'll know more when I see him Thursday

Thank you all for your responces, on and off the list and for telephone numbers for one to one talk throughs - great list, great guys

John (here in England - slooowww build -9a - fuse next)