Quick build kits

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 9/9A
rseaman
Class G

Quick build kits

Post by rseaman »

Hello all,
I am trying to get all information I can on Van's QB Kits. No offense intended to anyone but I have read of poor quality regarding these kits, and would like to hear honest opinions of those who have actually purchased and built a/c from them.
Thanks for any response

bruceh
Class D

Re: Quick build kits

Post by bruceh »

The quick-build quality is very good. If you are a meticulous builder, your quality will (may) be better, but there are many builders who cannot come close to the quick-build level of finish. I've seen some pretty bad slow build quality.

Slow build gives you the opportunity to do everything "your way". I added upgraded fuel caps on the tanks. You could also go with capacitive fuel senders and flop tubes (probably not needed on a -9), if you desire. Want to prime with something different? Want no primer? Again, you don't get to pick with the quick-build kits.

The quick-build fuselage will save you about a years worth of time and that is well worth the additional cost. With the wing kit, a dedicated builder can get them done in 6 months, so it won't save you as much time. Some recent info on the other forums about the quality of the fuel tank sealing would have me concerned with the quick-build wings. There are many stories of leaky tanks and bubbling under paint around rivets, but who's to say what your reality would be.

You will save time in the build, and it will cost more money. Do you want to spend your time building or flying? I took 4.5 years building an RV-9A all slow build kits. Another builder I know did the slow build wings/empennage, but did the quick-build fuselage. He started well after me, and finished less than 6 months after I first flew. It also helps to speed up the build by picking out your engine/avionics early and sticking to your plan and not changing your mind along the way.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

sibriggs
Class G

Post by sibriggs »

I've got 100 hours on my Quick Build 9. The Quick build quality was excellent, no fuel tank problems. The idea of Quick Build leaves one with the impression that it's mostly done. Not so, you have plenty of areas to screw up if you're not meticulous. For example the canopy is very demanding.

To me, flying was more important than building so I didn't want to wait an additional year or two to complete a slow build. Still I would not want to buy a completed RV done by another builder because I got a lot of satisfaction/reward for having done it the way I wanted.

To answer your question, as for my experience with the Van's Quick Build quality, it is excellent and I bet it is equal to most of the slow builds flying.
AP-IA - ATP,CFII,Multi,SES,Gliders

Built a Vari-Eze in the 80's, now RV9

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Quite simply, if you have got the lead then do it. OTOH, I wasn't sure of where the QB left off and the builder picked up, so I went SB... in addition to the fact that the delta in cost would pay for some big time radios!

Needless to say, I went SB.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

rseaman
Class G

Post by rseaman »

Thanks for the response. I kinda figured Van wouldn't put up with less than first class workmanship but it's reassuring to hear from folks who have been there. Thanks again to all.

sibriggs
Class G

Post by sibriggs »

Other than wing tank leaks, my biggest fear was the wings wouldn't match up and connect the way they should. Well no worries, CJ and his crew came up to KCON one day and helped me install them. All the connections and fittings matched up fine.

Back when I got the wings I installed the gauge senders and sealed the tanks. Then filled them with 100LL and let them set for a week to look for stains. No stains. I didn't use the air pressure method because in my experience with other tank leaks, sometimes the fuel can wick where the air doesn't seem to pass. Plus you need to allow plenty of time to elapse for the leak to show.

Steve
AP-IA - ATP,CFII,Multi,SES,Gliders

Built a Vari-Eze in the 80's, now RV9

Snoho3
Class G

Post by Snoho3 »

Building a -9A, QB wings and fuse. No quality issues at all and I have saved hundreds of hours. Would absolutely go this route again.

I am enjoying the build process immensely, but find that even with QB components there is still plenty to enjoy!

Lars