I want to know performance

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 10.
Thomas Cheatham

I want to know performance

Post by Thomas Cheatham »

After building 3 utralights and modifying my Dragonfly (which goes 200 mph) I don't beleive what anyone says about the performance of their airplanes. I am very impressed with what I have seen in the RVs. As you folks get them built will you please post your real numbers for climb, cruise, etc. I live in Basalt, Colorado (20 minutes from Aspen and 20 minutes from Glenwood Springs.) Our altitude is 6,500 feet. This altitude stuff degrades performance of a plane way more than most people think. I want to know if the RV10 can really do the job. Choice of engines is sooo critical but it is such a huge cost issue too. Please let me know what your flying experience has been to date if you have any in the RV10. Thanks for your help.
Thomas
BTW - Any of you RV10 builders, when your done, I will trade you a 5 day stay in my house (2 nice guest bedrooms downstairs with a clean bathroom) for a ride or two in your RV10. Come in the Winter for skiing, in the summer for hiking, or in the fall for the colors. Work that out financially and you win BIG TIME! You can fly into Aspen (ASE) or Glenwood Springs (GWS) and I'll either pick you up or you can rent a car. Let me know at: thomascheat@comcast.net (970) 927-0227.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Wow, what an offer. :thumbsup:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

Thomas,
I don't have an RV10, but I do have an RV6 with about 115 hours on her. I flew her to California from Oklahoma in May of 2003. She had 43 hours on her when I left Ok. I can tell you what my numbers are. I have a constant speed 74" prop on a Superior SL O-360 with high compression pistons. Factory said it should put out about 195 hp. I cruse at 23 squared and true out right at about 165 kts. When I landed in Gallop, NM it was 87 deg, the density alt was displayed as 9,300 feet. I departed with full fuel, full gross + (my brother was with me with bags) and we still climbed out at over 1,000 fpm indicating 100 mph! You will not be dissapointed with the performance of an RV. Van's numbers are very close to actual.
Golf Delta

Akroguy
Class G

Post by Akroguy »

Total agreement with Golf Delta. My RV8 continues to amaze me after five years and 365 hours of operation. Mine has a fixed metal prop on a 180hp O-360, pitched mostly for climb. I'm based in Albuquerque, with summertime DA's commonly in the 8,000's. It still gets airborne and climbs out smartly either solo or loaded up to gross. Max cruise, 8,000', @ 2700 rpm is 200mph. My ride in the RV10 proved the numbers ARE REAL. Van's does NOT pad their numbers. Why should they? It's stupid, false advertising that has crushed other designs in their infancy. My ride in the -10 at the Las Cruces RV fly in last year proved their 165kts. cruise is right on. This was with half tanks, three aboard, at 7500' MSL. Climb was awesome. The wing is truly amazing. Final approach is rock solid and grooves down the chute like on rails. Beautiful airplane. You won't find a better touring machine that still provides typical RV speeds and climb rates. Just can't toss it about like my RV8. Oh well, kids change everything!

Brian
RV8 N94BD, five years of RV grins. RV-10 underway.

bullyforpage (TT)

Performance

Post by bullyforpage (TT) »

Building a 10 and waiting for the rest of my kits (QB wings and fuse) I'm #35 on the list, and only 10 have arrived. Until then I've been concentrating on the engine.
I chose a 235 Lyc. O540-B2B5 It has low compression, I'm building it from ground up. I chose low compresion for reliability. These dinosaurs are not a pinnacle of reliability. It will by fuel injected, and will have LASAR ignition. Prop is Hartzell C/S, the B2B5 had fixed prop.
I currently fly a Piper Arrow (180) equiped with LASAR and found it to be an extremely beneficial power producer, along with fuel economy. I recently tried Mogas, and the results were astounding. Of course, due to being a "certified" AC it must use 100LL. Still even with AV gas, the improvements are numerous.
I estimate the addition of LASAR, is the performance increase is comparable to the Arrow, is should put the power closer to the 250/260 540, but with lower compression.
I note that some live in high alt. areas. I'm at SL. but have flown out west several times with and without. Climbs over those "hills" can be exciting, but LASAR made a vast improvement.
Waiting for the rest of the 10 has been frustrating to say the least, but I think it's well worth it. My Arrow is already sold, and will be gone by month's end, just in time to pay for it
Regards,
TT

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Welcome TT, glad you stopped by! Out of curiousity does the LASAR allow for a backup mag and if so did you use one?

Also, what benefits did you see from using MOGAS (other than the savings in money :mrgreen: )? Or was it that you were happy that you did not have detination, etc? These systems are quite interesting.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

TT

Post by TT »

Hi Spike,
The system operates off the electrical system. It's function is to manage ignition timing for whatever engine demands are. It starts on all plugs rather than half, and at or below 0 to 4 deg BTDC. It has 300% spark intensity increase, and increased spark duration. My Arrow has around 800 hrs with it, and have yet to clean plugs, nor is there is any wear, despite AV gas. It gards against shock cooling, since timing is altered to accomodate. It advances the timing considerably.
The Arrow's fuel burn dropped 15% on the average, and as much as 20%. Climbs increases, as well as cruise and top speed. The increase in top end and higher fuel economy, requires a C/S prop. With fixed prop, 10 to 12%.
If the electronic fails or the electrical system fails, it becomes a normal magneto automatically.
The FAA required them to use 100LL, so the Arrow is stuck, but I had to try mogas, so I ran one tank dry, and tried it. When mogas reached the engine EGT dropped, but more noticeably, the engine ran even smoother than normal. Had to lean some more to go back to normal EGT. Back to AV gas. EGT rose and the engine ran back to normal. The engine was balanced internally, so it's smooth already, but the mogas made it better.
Winds were all over, so air speed varied+- 3 to 5 kts. Mogas appeard to favor the higher number, though not conclusive due to conditions.
The system monitors crankshaft angle (0 deg), manifold presure, and CHT. Detonation is nearly impossible. It keeps altering timing until the engine is just barely developing enough power to mantain flight. I've take off lean several time (dummy), it simply had less power.
In live in FL, and conditions prevailing, solo and less than half tanks, it has climbed 12 to 1400 fpm. nearly double than stock. At 10K and up, the climb is almost identical to SL, and ecomomy even better.
BTW, I don't work for UNISON. I was in the auto, motorcycle business and did lots of high performance work. With bikes, I raced and built 2 strokes and electronic ignition,especially when managed, made them reliable.
The Lyc. run just about like my car save for the oil burners that they are.
Can't wait to get my QB kits. The Arrow is leaving an a couple of weeks, when I finish the annual, and want to get going. The Arrow is Sweaty Betty, and I think I'll dub the 10 Screaming Mimmy.
BTW, saw a neat N number. It was 600FY, and the way it was applied it looked like Goofy. It was a Glasstar.
Cheers,
TT