Building skill & time for a 10QB vs. the 7QB

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 10.
N200PF
Class D

Building skill & time for a 10QB vs. the 7QB

Post by N200PF »

It seems the more I research alone, I like the 7 but the more homwork we do as a team, we BOTH like the 10... SHEESH!

I could almost justify living with out the aerobatics (Dan's video this week didn't help!) to have the space and flexibility that the 10 would bring. Kids (non yet), our dog, friend(s) or a marathon X-Country flights with the seats out and the mountain bikes in! HMMM. It really has me thinking and this is the point where I get my self in trouble!

OK Bottom Line: What will I regret building the 10QB vs. the 7QB besides the $26,000 completeld aircraft difference? Build time? Build Skill? Build Space? Cost to Mantain? Fuel Rate?

Thanks for all the help guys! My wife Beth is here laughing that if we don't hurry up make the call we'll be looking at an A36 to fit grandkids! (...we were just married in June and are 35 with no kids planned for a year or two!)

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Building skill & time for a 10QB vs. the 7QB

Post by spikescopilot »

N200PF wrote: Thanks for all the help guys! My wife Beth is here laughing that if we don't hurry up make the call we'll be looking at an A36 to fit grandkids! (...we were just married in June and are 35 with no kids planned for a year or two!)
She sounds like me. Towards the end, I was threatening Spike.... "darn it, I'VE GOT CREDIT CARDS! I'LL ORDER THE THING MYSELF!! And you'll have to deal with whatever options I feel like ordering."

:lmao:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

She'll kill me for writing this but each new direction we take a serious look at in the Vans line makes us feel like, "WHAT WERE WE THINKING BEFORE?"

Now the 10 seems like it might fit us and our potentially expanding household better / not to mention the influx of friends that will certainly show up each Saturday morning with the old, "hey what are you doing today? You're not going flying are you?" <to me standing in the foyer with my flight bag>

Honestly I like taking them so the 10 would be nice. I guess we'll have to try it in April when we're out with Van!

- Peter
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I'm having a similar dilemma. I'm single, so family isn't an issue now, and I really like the idea of tandem seating. However, my dog flies with me everywhere now in the 172, and I don't know how he would do in the rear seat of an -8. I've heard of others taking their dog back there.
I've thought about the -7 (would he fit in the baggage area comfortably?) but obviously the -10 would be best.
Anyone have any experience with dogs in RVs?
Sorry for the thread creep - you guys can move this if you see fit..

Thomas

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Get the -7. Build the -10 second. You know, repeat offenders and all.

I plan on bringing my dog along when we travel. He travels Soooooooo well in the JEEPs, I expect he will do equally as well in the plane. He is 9 mos. old now, so we have plenty of time to train him.

BTW, I plan on doing a cruiser-type airplane later. Maybe it'll be a -10?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I made that decision based on average how many people I have with me currently. It can get very expensive purchasing / building an airplane that you "may need" in the future.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

I like CJ's idea. I'm going to build the -8 to replace the VARGA for performance reasons, and because building is too cool. Then we're going to discuss building the -10 to replace the Skymaster. Besides all my IA friends are getting too old, and having someone else do the maintenance is out of the question..........Larry
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Thanks for the help everyone! :thumbsup:

CJ you make a good point about putting together a 7 first and then thinking about a 10 down the road. Heck I need to prove I can actually complete something that will fly first and Van's admits that the build on the 10 is a bit more "involved" than the 7QB.

Maybe we'll stick with plan A (RV-7QB) and see if it takes us 8 years to complete!

Thanks Again! We shouldn't be toiling over this too much longer!

- Peter
Peter Fruehling

bcondrey
Class G

RV-10 vs other RVs

Post by bcondrey »

Not sure where a Van's quote came from that said that the RV-10 was more difficult/involved than a RV-7. There's certainly more rivets, but if you're considering an RV-10 at all you really should take a look at the RV-10 plans or visit a builder before finalizing your decision. If there aren't any -10 builders in your area, Mike Howe's web site has a ton of pictures of manual pages along with the associated parts: www.etigerrr.com/RV10HomePage.htm

I'm also building a -10 and when I've sat down with other RV builders it seems that not only are the plans more advanced, but the kit is also more advanced and complete. A couple of examples that come to mind are the inclusion of the electric trim system with the emp kit, and the inclusion of all necessary mounting brackets, etc. for the electric fuel pump, filter and fuel flow sensor for either carb or injected. This is sold as a seperate "kit" for the other RVs.

Ultimately the decision on which kit should probably be decided on mission parameters and not what kit might be easiest to build.

Bob
RV-10 #40105 (fuselage)

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Bob -

I actually tried to buy a set of preview plans for the -10 and they're not available. The person I spoke to at Van's was VERY helpful but didn't know if they were going to have them made up or not.

I'm in St. Paul, MN and I don't know of any RV-10 builders in this area. You're certainly right that I need to spend some time talking with those that are actully putting one together to make my own determination of what "involved" means.

Thanks for the follow up!!! I'll hit Mike's siet and see what he has to say!

- Peter
Peter Fruehling

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

HOLLY HANGAR!!! :o :) :o :)

Mike has quite a workspace there!

By the way Bob, I fly my Arrow to LNK faily often so if you ever need help I would be happy to stop by OMA!

- Peter
Peter Fruehling

bcondrey
Class G

Post by bcondrey »

Actually Mike's workspace is also his place of work - seems to me it's a bike shop or something of the sort. He has plane stuff scattered around all over. He's been documenting his build from the start by taking photos of the actual manual pages and then the associated parts or result. Almost as good as a visit!

You're welcome to stop by anytime - time it right and you might get a meal and a beer! My place is actually 45-50 minutes from LNK right up I-80. I've moved the tailcone and wings out for storage but the tailcone will be coming back in the not too distant future for mating with cabin.

Take care and good luck with your decision.

Bob

bcondrey
Class G

Post by bcondrey »

Actually MLE is the place to go. It's a few miles SW of OMA, closer to me and there's a lot of RVs and other homebuilts there.

Bob

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

There is one or more persons building RV-10's in MN. They are members of the MN Wing of Van's Airforce. They will be having a meeting sometime in late February. Weiler, Doug E-mail Address(es):
dcw@nomadwi.com is the President. There is also a periodic newsletter.
There are about 200 members and over 80 flying RV's.

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Thanks for the offer Bob C! I may take you up on that! It sounds like a good reason for me to visit my clients in Lincoln again soon!

I'll also check in with Doug here in MN on the -10 that is coming together up here...

Decisions, Decisions! :bang:

- Peter
Peter Fruehling

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

N200PF wrote:Bob -

I actually tried to buy a set of preview plans for the -10 and they're not available. The person I spoke to at Van's was VERY helpful but didn't know if they were going to have them made up or not.

- Peter
The RV-10 plans/instructions have a little bit different format than the other airplanes. Maybe that's why they don't yet make preview plans available.

RV-10 Preview Plans

Post by Guest »

The RV-10 plans are done differently than the other models. Instead of a full size set of plans with a textual instruction set, the manual is 11x17 pages and the drawings are integrated in with the text. My initial thought was that I'd prefer the other way, but after having used them it is REALLY nice to have the drawing in context with the instructions.

Bob #40105

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

Are the drawings on the 11 x 17 pages large enough to work from?!? On the preview plans for the RV-7 I can barely read some of the detailed instructions.

My hope is that they designed them from the beginning to be 11 x 17 not boards. Would you say this is the case?

- Peter
Peter Fruehling

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

N200PF wrote:My hope is that they designed them from the beginning to be 11 x 17 not boards. Would you say this is the case?

- Peter
I would make a guess that this IS the case. Having the plans incude verbage and direction sounds like an improvement to me. I am sure there is a downside of it as well, such as more pages to flip through when researching previously performed work.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I cant comment on the new plans as Ive never seen them. I will say that I very much like having the full sized drawings for the 9. They are the perfect size if you ask me.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl