Any Reason to Keep Avery Hand Squeezer Handle?

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 10.
john_r_graham
Class G

Any Reason to Keep Avery Hand Squeezer Handle?

Post by john_r_graham »

I got an Avery toolkit, with various additions and deletions, before I attended a builder's class where I was exposed to the Chicago Pneumatic #214 squeezer. I liked it enough to buy one of Avery's #214 units. Are there conditions where the hand squeezer will come in handy (so to speak) or am I safe to sell it?

- John

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I would say you're safe to sell it...although, there were times after I got my 214 style squeezer that the hand squeezer came in handy :wink: . My hand squeezer is an eBay cheapie, so it didn't really make a whole lot of sense to sell it. Avery's is worth much more, so I probably would have sold it if that's what I had.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

itisgood
Class E

Post by itisgood »

I understand why you think you might not need it, but I have used mine on occasion where the pneumatic is not practical. I cannot give you an example now. If you are bent on selling it, I suggest you wait until you have finished building. Just my two cents worth.
Dave :)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I keep dimple dies in the hand squeezer and rivet sets in the pneu squeeze.

I use the hand squeeze plenty.

Consider keeping it.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

The hand squeezer is good for small rivets where it is easier to use than the pneumatic. I have both and although my airplane has been done since 12/18/08, I still have the hand squeezer in my tool box and don't take the pneumatic to the airport. In fact if I have a lot of squeezing to do I bring the parts from the airport home. For a few rivets the hand squeezer is preferable in my mind. I also found a few places I could get the hand squeezer that I couldn't get the pneumatic.

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I used the pneumatic squeezer almost all the time, but there was always the time I needed to squeeze/dimple just a handful of things and the hand squeezer was always easier and faster to setup. Also, the hand squeezer is significantly thinner than the pneumatic squeezer, so in a few places it was the only way to squeeze a rivet. I also like the control I have with a hand squeezer. With the pneumatic, you press the button and you're committed. With the hand squeezer, you have a lot of control.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

john_r_graham
Class G

Post by john_r_graham »

Okay, I'm convinced. I'll leave it on the shelf for now. Thanks, guys.

- John

leffler
Class E

Re: Any Reason to Keep Avery Hand Squeezer Handle?

Post by leffler »

john_r_graham wrote:I got an Avery toolkit, with various additions and deletions, before I attended a builder's class where I was exposed to the Chicago Pneumatic #214 squeezer. I liked it enough to buy one of Avery's #214 units. Are there conditions where the hand squeezer will come in handy (so to speak) or am I safe to sell it?

- John
I'm just starting the FWF. I don't have a hand squeezer and haven't found a real need for one.

bob
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler