lycoming basic hardware

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
flyboy09

lycoming basic hardware

Post by flyboy09 »

is there a source for basic harware for lycoming engines? called on a 1/4 inch -20 nut...price is $1.91 each :o ....seems kind of high to me but then i know very little about these things. anyone?

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Welcome to the group! Who did you call? Did you try spruce? Try looking through the Builder's Resource Pages.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

flyboy09

Post by flyboy09 »

i am not sure that spruce has acceptable lycoming hardware....anyone?....for example in the lycoming parts manual... description calls out "nut 1/4 -20 plain" with a part # "STD-1411"....will a standard AN nut work or is there some special treatment to this nut that makes it unique for the lycoming application? thanks

DDURAKOVICH
Class G

Post by DDURAKOVICH »

I just went through this with mine. Talked to a fellow from a major supply house who indicated that in a previous life with a large engine builder they purchased their hardware from Fastenal. Being a repair station they blessed the Grade 8's and made them aircraft quality!

Looking at what was in my crankcase, it was a mixture of Grade 8's, Grade 5's, and Grade 3's!

AN stuff is 1/4 x 28 not 20! The only AN stuff that will work are the flat and internal tooth lock washers.

I'm more than comfortable with Grade 8 bolts and nuts, bought the AN internal tooth washers and flats.
David A. Durakovich
RV-4 Finish Kit
N666PR

Post by Guest »

The general AN (Army/Navy) nuts and bolts are equivalent to Grade 5, and most aircraft hardware is NF threads. Where applicable, NC is used.
In the building process, kitmakers, especially the reputable ones, specify AN. The idea that "aircraft quality" is superior is pure bunk, but standarization does make sense. Selecting the proper sizes and types of fasteners for the given aplication will assure a successful bond.
Prices are a factor, and there are outlets that offer affordable prices. I used Freeman Aviation, and B&B aircraft supply. Both specialize in the homebuilt market, and offer great prices.