One without Limits

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
Snap
Class D

One without Limits

Post by Snap »

Here is one for you guys and gals out there.

When looking at all the different types and brands of 'Normal' type engines (lycoming type) and the combinations of options you can have ie. FADEC, P-mags, Elec Ignition, Fuel Inj. They all seem to have a avoid power and some of the props have them as well with different options.

Is there a Lycoming type engine out there that can take say Injection, Lightspeed ignition and FADEC that doesn't have any limitations with say a Constant speed Hartzell?

A long one I know..Sorry :?
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

One without Limits

Post by Spike »

I was under the impression that all of the restricted rpm ranges were due to harmonic limitations of the prop. No?

Submitted via email

Post by Guest »

Correct, it's the prop that has the restrictions not the engine.
There are several props that will allow use of a 360 with any of those options without restrictions.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

Just surf'n around and it seems that most of the limitations are with the A1A motor. When you look at the B1B's and the others (anything other than an A1A) there are no restrictions.

So, where do you find the difference between these engines?
Are these engines classed as an A1A but called something else just because of the accessories? (therefore have these restriction?) :?:

I think that I would choose something other than and A1A and forgo having all the restrictions.

What do Y'all think?
:?:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

TT

Post by TT »

Snap,
Sold my Arrow with LASAR. Prop restriction did not change. Same as before. The engine overall, was smoother with LASAR, even more so with Mogas (illegal in the Arrow, but had to see for myself)
Engine speed restrictions are more directed at the type of prop the engine is fitted with. My guess is that metal C/S props will have a greater effect on the spindly cranks AC engines have due to the changes in pitch. Had a 3 bladed prop on my arrow, and thank God I was able to get rid of it. It pushed the "no operation" range 50 rpms higher than the 2 blade. In the process, the Arrow lost top speed, and vibration abound below 2000. When replacing it with the two blabed, all was back to normal. The smoothness of the two bladed was considerably noticeable.
My RV10 will have LASAR, and two blades.