ECi Unveils TITAN EXP IOX-340 Stroker Kit Engine

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
bmurrish
Class D

ECi Unveils TITAN EXP IOX-340 Stroker Kit Engine

Post by bmurrish »

Just got this from ECi Engines:

More Power, Less Weight
ECi® Unveils TITAN® EXP IOX-340 Stroker KitEngine
San Antonio, TX - Apr 04, 2006 Because no pilot wants a slow airplane, ECi® introduces the TITAN® EXP(tm) IOX-340 Stroker engine. With less weight and more power, the new engine is equipped with innovative features that were designed with “plane” smart ingenuity, making it just the right size and price for the experimental airplane market.

Derived from the basic 320 engine kit, the IOX-340 Stroker KitEngine features a .25 longer stroke crankshaft which results in larger engine displacement and increased power. New venturi intake seats help to optimize air flow and allow a larger fuel/air charge into to the cylinder during the crucial initial valve opening. A thicker crankshaft flange, flow-matched cylinder heads and a 9.0:1 compression ratio are just a few of the features that help create more power than a standard 360 engine.

One of the most visible and significant features of the IOX-340 Stroker engine is the tapered fin cylinder barrel, available for both the TITAN EXP Experimental KitEngine and TITAN EXP cylinders and part of a growing line of ECi EXP parts for the general aviation marketplace. The reduced cylinder weight by ¾ pound still allows for proper cooling, minus the extra mass. The use of a lightweight magnesium sump and intake plenum helps contribute to an overall weight savings of 20 lbs. This lighter weight improves fuel efficiency and testing has documented a 10% increase in the power/weight ratio over the standard IO-360 engine.
The IOX-340 Stroker KitEngine also features the TITAN EXP Fuel Injection and Cold Air Induction System. A gear-driven fuel pump sends fuel to a simple throttle and control that has no venturi and then the metered fuel is sent to the flow divider and directed to each cylinder. The intake air charge is isolated from the hot engine oil in the sump because it passes through the plenum and then directly through to the cylinder intake port. The cooler air charge increases available power and performance. Though the fuel and induction systems are the most complex of all engine accessories, ECi is the manufacturer of the product and passes on savings to the customer in the form of an easily affordable fuel injection system.

Created specifically for the experimental aircraft market, the TITAN EXP (ECi Xperimental Products) line of ECi EXP parts also includes the exclusive diamond features: Nickel+Carbide cylinder bores, valve guide ballizing, TITAN Advanced Aluminum Alloy, high chrome ni-resist exhaust valve guides, plasma-sprayed top compression ring and a plateau bore finish.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

How many horses?
My only concern with it would be engine life ... although if they do something similar with the -360 that would be a sweet option for the -8 !!

Thomas
-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

There ya go Spike. An engine for you!

Thomas, I doubt engine longivety would be a comprimise.

The only "scary" thing I find about these "X" engines is things like crankshaft AD's and the like. The paper trail is looser and a production issue would theoretically be more difficult to trace.

Anyone else???

:roll: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

well, i talked to the ECi boys yesterday, took a bunch of pics of the engine, and picked up the info. should be able to be built for about $22k-$24k. pretty sweet, 185hp at 2700rpm. i'll post some pics of it when i get back monday. it's really sweet!! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

cjensen wrote: pretty sweet, 185hp at 2700rpm.
Chad, Is this the hp rating for the one I posted? That is sweet.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

captain_john wrote:There ya go Spike. An engine for you!

Probably not if its at 185HP. What ever happened to a simple 320 alternative to Lycomming? It looks like aerosport is the only way to go right now if you just want a straight O-320. Id love for it to have an assemble it yourself program like the XP-360.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

bmurrish wrote:
cjensen wrote: pretty sweet, 185hp at 2700rpm.
Chad, Is this the hp rating for the one I posted? That is sweet.
yep, i have the brochure sittin' right here. 185hp. MUCH lighter than the 360 with more power! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

here's a couple of pics from the show. i thought i had more, but these are the only two i could find.

Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support