Anybody using E-85 or AGE-85 in their RV

A forum to discuss the installation and maintenance of the O-320, O-360, & O-540 engines and their variants.
lancef53
Class D

Anybody using E-85 or AGE-85 in their RV

Post by lancef53 »

Hi, I am new to the forum and am getting close to taking the plunge and starting an 8. I am interested in info on ethanol as a fuel source, and wondering if anybody has much experience with it. What special things need to be done to the airframe to use ethanol?

Thanks for the info, this is a very cool site. I think it might be an expensive one, though!

Lance

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

:welcome:

Welcome to RB! There was a team of RV aviators out of the Dakotas that flew Ethanol powered RV's so it can be done. I don't have a link but maybe someone else will.

Your right about one thing, hanging around here can cost you some time and money. :wink:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

Lance,

Although I am sure that it is possible to use ethanol in an airplane under the right conditions, I would be very careful as there are a number of issues using ethanol in a normal airplane engine. First you need to ensure that any rubber components such as o-rings are the proper material. Ethanol will cause the standard buna o-rings to swell which could cause a problem. Another, possibly significant problem, is that enthanol is hydroscopic, that is, it absorbs water and that water would not be drained out of your tank drain. It is possible that at cold temperatures that water could freeze out of the ethanol and block a fuel line. Most people who run auto gas in their engines try to find gas that does not have ethanol added for these reasons.

Now if you do go this way and want to make your own ethanol, I'd be happy to sell you the corn :-)

Good luck on your project.
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Welcome :welcome: :thumbsup:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I don't like any E-fuels.

It raises the cost of Captain Morgan's!

:x CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Thanks for the replies, I know I saw 4 RV-3's painted up and promoting ethanol a couple of years ago, but I can't remember where, or who they were with. I think they would be a good place to start, now to find them again!!!!

The AGE85 website (www.age85.org) has some neat info, but I would like a little more info than they list, and when I tried to get some info a couple of years ago, they were kinda tight-lipped.

Thanks, Lance

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Contact the University of South Dakota. They have several planes, RV4's I believe, that are running straight Ethanol.

Oh not straight Ethanol the distiller adds 15% Isopentane to denature it.
Last edited by jim_geo on Wed May 23, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

I think it's the "Vanguard Squadron" that has ethanol-powered RV-4's, if I'm not mistaken.
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

Bob Barrett
Class C

Ethanol Powered RV's

Post by Bob Barrett »

The Vangard Squadron which I believe is located at Sioux Falls, S.D. uses RV-3's and have been experimenting for a number of years with various ethanol programs. These airplane I believe have beens especailly rigged to use ethanol. I have talked with some people from the Squadron and they were enthused however I have also heard that some planes have experienced problems. Check carefully and be sure that your systems can tolerate ethanol. I have an 0-320 160HP Lycoming in my project and I have flown that engine in a Rental 172 on pure 92 octane unleaded gas with no adverse affects. I am planning to attempt to get it rated to use 92 octane in the left tank for crusie flight and keep 100-low lead in the right tank for take-offs and landings. I won't put ethanol in my project.

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Thanks for the lead, the site was www.ethanolairshows.com, I emailed them for some more info.

This site is great!!!!